Dec 5, 2010, 4:11 PM EDT
The A’s showed heavy interest in Adam Dunn just before he signed with the White Sox. Then they expressed interest in Lance Berkman, but he signed with the Cardinals. Now it appears that they’re out on another free agent because of the player’s lack of interest.
According to ESPN.com’s Buster Olney, the A’s are prepared to move on from Adrian Beltre because the third baseman has repeatedly ignored their offers.
Beltre has the luxury of choosing a few different landing spots because of the numbers he posted this season in Boston and the lack of quality infielders on this winter’s open market. He’s drawn heavy interest from the Angels and the Red Sox could get back on board if they really do fail to work out a trade for Adrian Gonzalez.
The A’s were reportedly offering Beltre a five-year contract worth $64 million. His agent, Scott Boras, can use that as the framework for other interested clubs.
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the A’s are indeed out and have informed Boras.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)