Dec 5, 2010, 4:11 PM EDT
The A’s showed heavy interest in Adam Dunn just before he signed with the White Sox. Then they expressed interest in Lance Berkman, but he signed with the Cardinals. Now it appears that they’re out on another free agent because of the player’s lack of interest.
According to ESPN.com’s Buster Olney, the A’s are prepared to move on from Adrian Beltre because the third baseman has repeatedly ignored their offers.
Beltre has the luxury of choosing a few different landing spots because of the numbers he posted this season in Boston and the lack of quality infielders on this winter’s open market. He’s drawn heavy interest from the Angels and the Red Sox could get back on board if they really do fail to work out a trade for Adrian Gonzalez.
The A’s were reportedly offering Beltre a five-year contract worth $64 million. His agent, Scott Boras, can use that as the framework for other interested clubs.
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the A’s are indeed out and have informed Boras.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)