Dec 5, 2010, 4:11 PM EDT
The A’s showed heavy interest in Adam Dunn just before he signed with the White Sox. Then they expressed interest in Lance Berkman, but he signed with the Cardinals. Now it appears that they’re out on another free agent because of the player’s lack of interest.
According to ESPN.com’s Buster Olney, the A’s are prepared to move on from Adrian Beltre because the third baseman has repeatedly ignored their offers.
Beltre has the luxury of choosing a few different landing spots because of the numbers he posted this season in Boston and the lack of quality infielders on this winter’s open market. He’s drawn heavy interest from the Angels and the Red Sox could get back on board if they really do fail to work out a trade for Adrian Gonzalez.
The A’s were reportedly offering Beltre a five-year contract worth $64 million. His agent, Scott Boras, can use that as the framework for other interested clubs.
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the A’s are indeed out and have informed Boras.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)