Dec 5, 2010, 4:11 PM EDT
The A’s showed heavy interest in Adam Dunn just before he signed with the White Sox. Then they expressed interest in Lance Berkman, but he signed with the Cardinals. Now it appears that they’re out on another free agent because of the player’s lack of interest.
According to ESPN.com’s Buster Olney, the A’s are prepared to move on from Adrian Beltre because the third baseman has repeatedly ignored their offers.
Beltre has the luxury of choosing a few different landing spots because of the numbers he posted this season in Boston and the lack of quality infielders on this winter’s open market. He’s drawn heavy interest from the Angels and the Red Sox could get back on board if they really do fail to work out a trade for Adrian Gonzalez.
The A’s were reportedly offering Beltre a five-year contract worth $64 million. His agent, Scott Boras, can use that as the framework for other interested clubs.
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the A’s are indeed out and have informed Boras.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 0
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 28
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 105
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (106)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (82)