Dec 5, 2010, 4:11 PM EST
The A’s showed heavy interest in Adam Dunn just before he signed with the White Sox. Then they expressed interest in Lance Berkman, but he signed with the Cardinals. Now it appears that they’re out on another free agent because of the player’s lack of interest.
According to ESPN.com’s Buster Olney, the A’s are prepared to move on from Adrian Beltre because the third baseman has repeatedly ignored their offers.
Beltre has the luxury of choosing a few different landing spots because of the numbers he posted this season in Boston and the lack of quality infielders on this winter’s open market. He’s drawn heavy interest from the Angels and the Red Sox could get back on board if they really do fail to work out a trade for Adrian Gonzalez.
The A’s were reportedly offering Beltre a five-year contract worth $64 million. His agent, Scott Boras, can use that as the framework for other interested clubs.
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the A’s are indeed out and have informed Boras.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)