Dec 5, 2010, 11:55 AM EDT
Desperate to add a power bat to their light-hitting lineups, the Orioles, Padres and Blue Jays have expressed interest this offseason in trading for Diamondbacks slugger Mark Reynolds.
Reynolds tallied 32 home runs in 2010 and a career-high 44 in 2009, but he’s the only player in major league history to amass 200 strikeouts in a season and he’s done that now for three straight years. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, that’s not deterring the Orioles, who are now heavily intrigued at the possibility of landing the third baseman while the Jays and Pads have backed off.
Reynolds has poor range at third base and is owed around $23.5 million through the 2013 season. His strikeout rates won’t get any better with a move to the American League East and the O’s will almost certainly have to fork over a respectable prospect to acquire him.
Yes, it’s possible that the 27-year-old might improve his plate discipline and flourish in the cozy confines of Camden Yards, but Baltimore should know better than to make a desperation trade. If the Orioles are going to catch up to the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays — heck, even the Blue Jays — they must do it through the draft and through the cultivation of what looks to be a healthy farm system. Allowing Arizona to pluck a name or two from that system would seem to be a step in the wrong direction.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)