Dec 5, 2010, 8:53 AM EST
The Red Sox traded prospects Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, Reymond Fuentes and a PTBNL to the Padres yesterday for first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. They got their man, and are now working toward a contract extension with Gonzalez in an exclusive negotiating window.
That window closes Sunday at 2pm ET, but it might not really matter.
Alex Speier of Boston-based WEEI.com speculates that the Red Sox could wait until the 2011 season begins to announce an extension.
Gonzalez underwent shoulder surgery in October and the Sox might want to see him throw, catch and hit before making a massive offer of guaranteed money. The procedure went well and he’s recovering swiftly, but it only makes sense to ensure that the big man is healthy before signing off on a deal that is expected to look similar to the five-year, $125 million extension that Ryan Howard landed from the Phillies earlier this year.
The Red Sox can use their negotiating window to discuss parameters. Then if all goes well in spring training, they can announce a new deal for Gonzalez just before Opening Day.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 51
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 36
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)