Dec 5, 2010, 8:53 AM EST
The Red Sox traded prospects Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, Reymond Fuentes and a PTBNL to the Padres yesterday for first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. They got their man, and are now working toward a contract extension with Gonzalez in an exclusive negotiating window.
That window closes Sunday at 2pm ET, but it might not really matter.
Alex Speier of Boston-based WEEI.com speculates that the Red Sox could wait until the 2011 season begins to announce an extension.
Gonzalez underwent shoulder surgery in October and the Sox might want to see him throw, catch and hit before making a massive offer of guaranteed money. The procedure went well and he’s recovering swiftly, but it only makes sense to ensure that the big man is healthy before signing off on a deal that is expected to look similar to the five-year, $125 million extension that Ryan Howard landed from the Phillies earlier this year.
The Red Sox can use their negotiating window to discuss parameters. Then if all goes well in spring training, they can announce a new deal for Gonzalez just before Opening Day.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)