Dec 5, 2010, 8:08 PM EST
In a deal set to be announced Monday, the Red Sox will acquire Adrian Gonzalez from the Padres for right-hander Casey Kelly, first baseman Anthony Rizzo and outfielder Reymond Fuentes.
The deal will get done without the extension Boston and Gonzalez were working on up until Sunday’s 2 p.m. ET deadline. The New York Post’s Joel Sherman says the two sides have the parameters of a deal agreed to, but will wait to finalize.
It’s possible that the two sides do in fact have an agreement, but the Red Sox will wait until April to announce it in order to stay out of the luxury tax for 2011. As is, Gonzalez will only count for $6.2 million for tax purposes next year. If he agreed to, let’s say, a seven-year, $154 million extension now, then he’d count as $20 million for 2011, potentially putting the Red Sox over the threshold at which they’d have to pay the luxury tax.
What looked like a potentially ugly day for the Red Sox now appears a whole lot better. No, they didn’t get Jayson Werth, but there were mixed signals on whether the team really wanted him anyway. And since Werth didn’t go to Detroit — and Carl Crawford is a big long shot to sign with the Tigers — the Red Sox will almost certainly get the first-round pick Detroit owes them for signing Victor Martinez. Crawford is the only remaining free agent who trumps Martinez in the Elias Rankings.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)