Dec 5, 2010, 8:08 PM EDT
In a deal set to be announced Monday, the Red Sox will acquire Adrian Gonzalez from the Padres for right-hander Casey Kelly, first baseman Anthony Rizzo and outfielder Reymond Fuentes.
The deal will get done without the extension Boston and Gonzalez were working on up until Sunday’s 2 p.m. ET deadline. The New York Post’s Joel Sherman says the two sides have the parameters of a deal agreed to, but will wait to finalize.
It’s possible that the two sides do in fact have an agreement, but the Red Sox will wait until April to announce it in order to stay out of the luxury tax for 2011. As is, Gonzalez will only count for $6.2 million for tax purposes next year. If he agreed to, let’s say, a seven-year, $154 million extension now, then he’d count as $20 million for 2011, potentially putting the Red Sox over the threshold at which they’d have to pay the luxury tax.
What looked like a potentially ugly day for the Red Sox now appears a whole lot better. No, they didn’t get Jayson Werth, but there were mixed signals on whether the team really wanted him anyway. And since Werth didn’t go to Detroit — and Carl Crawford is a big long shot to sign with the Tigers — the Red Sox will almost certainly get the first-round pick Detroit owes them for signing Victor Martinez. Crawford is the only remaining free agent who trumps Martinez in the Elias Rankings.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 26
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 43
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)