Dec 6, 2010, 3:22 PM EST
UPDATE: I just spoke with a source close to Pettitte. The source — while acknowledging that Pettitte is somewhat unpredictable — believes that Pettitte will be playing in 2011.
3.05 P.M.: Bob Klapisch just tweeted that the Yankees “heard from a friend of Pettite’s that he’s definitely retiring.” That word came three weeks ago, however, and the team is still waiting for official word.
I’m skeptical only insofar as (a) if there was really something solid about Pettitte retiring, it seems like Kalpisch would make a monster story out of it rather than just tweet it; and (b) why would the Yankees rely on “a friend of Pettite’s” for such a report? They know his cell phone number. And we’ve heard as recently as a couple of weeks ago that Pettitte was coming back or going to the Rangers or whatever. In short: people likely know less about Andy Pettitte’s true intentions than science knows about worm holes and quarks and stuff.
I’m not doubting it and I’m not believing it. It’s out there. I think we need a bit more than this, however, before we can really start talking about Pettitte’s career in the past tense.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 6
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 9
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 161
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (161)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)