Dec 6, 2010, 3:22 PM EDT
UPDATE: I just spoke with a source close to Pettitte. The source — while acknowledging that Pettitte is somewhat unpredictable — believes that Pettitte will be playing in 2011.
3.05 P.M.: Bob Klapisch just tweeted that the Yankees “heard from a friend of Pettite’s that he’s definitely retiring.” That word came three weeks ago, however, and the team is still waiting for official word.
I’m skeptical only insofar as (a) if there was really something solid about Pettitte retiring, it seems like Kalpisch would make a monster story out of it rather than just tweet it; and (b) why would the Yankees rely on “a friend of Pettite’s” for such a report? They know his cell phone number. And we’ve heard as recently as a couple of weeks ago that Pettitte was coming back or going to the Rangers or whatever. In short: people likely know less about Andy Pettitte’s true intentions than science knows about worm holes and quarks and stuff.
I’m not doubting it and I’m not believing it. It’s out there. I think we need a bit more than this, however, before we can really start talking about Pettitte’s career in the past tense.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)