Cliff Lee says he’d go to Texas if they give him a sixth year

Dec 6, 2010, 9:14 AM EST

cliff lee in delivery

File this under “man, I dunno . . .” but Yahoo!’s Tim Brown reports that Cliff Lee has told his Rangers teammates that a sixth year would get him to re-sign with the Rangers. It’s suspected that the Rangers are offering five.

What’s unclear from the report is what happens if the Rangers and the Yankees offer him six years. Which makes me think that this is the kind of thing designed to get the Yankees to, you know, offer six years.

I still think that the Rangers should stay away, save their dough and make Neftali Feliz a starter. I think that the Yankees will make this something less of a choice for Texas than a necessity. I can’t see New York not getting their man.

1. BC - Dec 6, 2010 at 9:22 AM

I’d go to Texas if they gave me a sixth year.

• bigharold - Dec 6, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Unless you’re Cliff Le it doesn’t count.

2. Richard In Big D - Dec 6, 2010 at 10:30 AM

They DON’T need to save their dough, Craig. They need to sign Lee, make Feliz a starter AND trade for Grienke. CJ and Colby round out the rotation, and Hunter becomes setup/closer with Francisco. Who needs bats?

• fordman84 - Dec 6, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Who needs bats? Not Texas. At least not any new ones. We have plenty of pop under contract. We need pitching and corner defense.

• Richard In Big D - Dec 6, 2010 at 11:09 AM

As far as corner defense, did you not see Moreland in the post-season? And Mike, though not the best defensive third baseman in the business, isn’t going anywhere for quite a while. Keeping Lee and adding Grienke would without a doubt more than balance whatever shortcomings there may be in the leather at the corners…

3. kgsimms - Dec 6, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Cliff Lee is NOT signing with the Yankeess!!!! I never thought he would. He needs to “act” interested in order to squeeze the rangers for as much as he can. Before the week is out, he will sign with the Rangers. If Yankees had any sense (which so often is in doubt) they should go after Greinke, Lee (and his wife’s) mind is already made up!!!

• Richard In Big D - Dec 6, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Fortunately, the Yankees DON’T have much sense, which may allow the Rangers to score both Lee AND Grienke. I like the way you think, kg.

4. IdahoMariner - Dec 6, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Dude is going to Texas. “What’s unclear from the report is what happens if the Rangers and the Yankees offer him six years.” Nope. Nothing unclear. Lee says he will go with Texas if they offer him six years. Period. That’s what he wants. If you look back over the last couple of years, he wants to stay in one place. He was totally befuddled and blindsided by Philly trading him to Seattle, and I don’t think it had anything to do with the fact that he was going to Seattle. He thought he would be in Philly a while. Dude likes stability. The Rangers are a 40-minute flight from his home. Dude LIKES his home. Lee is going to Texas is they give him six years. THey would be foolish not to. And they aren’t foolish.

• JBerardi - Dec 6, 2010 at 12:44 PM

“Dude likes stability… Dude LIKES his home.”

Cliff Lee abides.

5. IdahoMariner - Dec 6, 2010 at 12:31 PM

of course, my little delusional heart looks at this report and thinks “Jack Z, go offer him six years and an ungodly amount of money and bring him back to the Mariners!!!!” But that is just a sad, sad little dream.

The realist says: he’s going to the Rangers. So, at least I’ll get to see him pitch in person again next year. Unfortunately, he will be decimating my Mariners.

6. iranuke - Dec 6, 2010 at 1:32 PM

The trick is that Texas does not have an income tax, which means that for the same contract amount, he would have more money in his pocket. Remember, its about the money (in your own pocket).

7. uyf1950 - Dec 6, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Well I guess all the suspense is over. According to everyone posting here Lee is staying in Texas. Send all the GM’s home there is no reason for them to stay. Over the last 3 weeks we have heard Lee must be staying in Texas he bought boots at a local store. He must be staying in Texas he likes Nolan. He must be staying in Texas it’s close to home. Then over the past few days I’ve been reading posters and sports writers on this very site. The Rangers shouldn’t commit to Lee for that many years at 32, etc…. Now it’s everyone here (Ranger Fans) offer him 6 years so he stays. My guess is the team that offers him the most money and the most years is the team he signs with. Non of the other stuff mean anything. It may be Texas, it may be NY it may be an unknown 3rd team. If anyone things Lee’s agent is going to tip his had by telling the Rangers via a text to someone from Lee they are dreaming.

• pisano - Dec 6, 2010 at 8:14 PM

To uyf1950, you make the most sense of the current post. The rest of the post sounds like a bunch of Texans hoping Lee is going to stay. Personally I think he is too old to give a six year contract to and I hope he stays in Texas . His health issues(from time to time) and his age combined with the money would scare me away. I really hope the Rangers get him, remember how they hosed themselves with Arod, it could happen again. Good Luck Rangers…

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (5147)