Dec 6, 2010, 9:14 AM EDT
File this under “man, I dunno . . .” but Yahoo!’s Tim Brown reports that Cliff Lee has told his Rangers teammates that a sixth year would get him to re-sign with the Rangers. It’s suspected that the Rangers are offering five.
What’s unclear from the report is what happens if the Rangers and the Yankees offer him six years. Which makes me think that this is the kind of thing designed to get the Yankees to, you know, offer six years.
I still think that the Rangers should stay away, save their dough and make Neftali Feliz a starter. I think that the Yankees will make this something less of a choice for Texas than a necessity. I can’t see New York not getting their man.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 43
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17