Dec 6, 2010, 9:14 AM EDT
File this under “man, I dunno . . .” but Yahoo!’s Tim Brown reports that Cliff Lee has told his Rangers teammates that a sixth year would get him to re-sign with the Rangers. It’s suspected that the Rangers are offering five.
What’s unclear from the report is what happens if the Rangers and the Yankees offer him six years. Which makes me think that this is the kind of thing designed to get the Yankees to, you know, offer six years.
I still think that the Rangers should stay away, save their dough and make Neftali Feliz a starter. I think that the Yankees will make this something less of a choice for Texas than a necessity. I can’t see New York not getting their man.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 107
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 47
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (107)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)