Dec 6, 2010, 9:14 AM EDT
File this under “man, I dunno . . .” but Yahoo!’s Tim Brown reports that Cliff Lee has told his Rangers teammates that a sixth year would get him to re-sign with the Rangers. It’s suspected that the Rangers are offering five.
What’s unclear from the report is what happens if the Rangers and the Yankees offer him six years. Which makes me think that this is the kind of thing designed to get the Yankees to, you know, offer six years.
I still think that the Rangers should stay away, save their dough and make Neftali Feliz a starter. I think that the Yankees will make this something less of a choice for Texas than a necessity. I can’t see New York not getting their man.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 65
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15