Dec 6, 2010, 8:07 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rosenthal reports that Putz will receive a two-year, $10 million contract from the Diamondbacks with a $6.5 million club option for 2013 or a $1.5 million buyout. He’ll earn $4 million in 2011 and $4.5 million in 2012.
6:18 PM: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Diamondbacks and J.J. Putz have agreed to a two-year contract with a club option for 2013, pending a physical.
3:48 PM: Moments ago during the press conference officially announcing the Mark Reynolds deal, Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers indicated that he expects to acquire a new closer by tomorrow.
And about three seconds later Buster Olney of ESPN.com tweeted that “good progress is being made by the Diamondbacks to bring J.J. Putz in.”
Connecting the dots, Putz to the Diamondbacks as their new closer definitely passes the smell test.
Putz bounced back in a big way this year after struggling with his performance and health for the Mets in 2009, going 7-5 with a 2.83 ERA, .204 opponents’ batting average, and 65 strikeouts in 54 innings for the White Sox. It was the fourth time in five seasons that Putz has racked up more than 10 strikeouts per nine innings, and if you ignore his one-season stint in New York he has a 3.03 career ERA in 377 innings.
Towers was famous for building excellent bullpens during his time in San Diego and he’s already taken steps to fix Arizona’s league-worst relief corps by adding David Hernandez and Kam Mickolio in the Reynolds deal. Bringing in Putz to handle ninth-inning duties would be a huge addition, as he’s been one of baseball’s most dominant relievers when healthy.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 6
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 31
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)