Dec 6, 2010, 8:07 PM EST
UPDATE: Rosenthal reports that Putz will receive a two-year, $10 million contract from the Diamondbacks with a $6.5 million club option for 2013 or a $1.5 million buyout. He’ll earn $4 million in 2011 and $4.5 million in 2012.
6:18 PM: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Diamondbacks and J.J. Putz have agreed to a two-year contract with a club option for 2013, pending a physical.
3:48 PM: Moments ago during the press conference officially announcing the Mark Reynolds deal, Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers indicated that he expects to acquire a new closer by tomorrow.
And about three seconds later Buster Olney of ESPN.com tweeted that “good progress is being made by the Diamondbacks to bring J.J. Putz in.”
Connecting the dots, Putz to the Diamondbacks as their new closer definitely passes the smell test.
Putz bounced back in a big way this year after struggling with his performance and health for the Mets in 2009, going 7-5 with a 2.83 ERA, .204 opponents’ batting average, and 65 strikeouts in 54 innings for the White Sox. It was the fourth time in five seasons that Putz has racked up more than 10 strikeouts per nine innings, and if you ignore his one-season stint in New York he has a 3.03 career ERA in 377 innings.
Towers was famous for building excellent bullpens during his time in San Diego and he’s already taken steps to fix Arizona’s league-worst relief corps by adding David Hernandez and Kam Mickolio in the Reynolds deal. Bringing in Putz to handle ninth-inning duties would be a huge addition, as he’s been one of baseball’s most dominant relievers when healthy.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 80
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)