More than zero teams are interested in Jeff Francoeur

Dec 6, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT

Jeff Francoeur

I put the headline that way because that’s the real news nugget here. But Jayson Stark says it could be worse: two teams, the Royals and Phillies, are apparently both interested. He says that the Royals have “picked up the pace” on Frenchie.

I’m sure cooler heads will prevail, but I can’t envision a situation that would give me more warm happy fuzzy joys than the Phillies and Royals entering into a bidding war over Francoeur. In an ideal world, the Royals bid heavily, complete with lots of juicy reports of them “coveting his tools” or some such, but the Phillies ultimately “win” his services, thereby making sure that, you know, the Phillies have Jeff Francoeur.

Such a turn of events would give me more posting fodder than the Derek Jeter business.

1. proudlycanadian - Dec 6, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Jeter is yesterday’s news. You need something new to keep your juices going.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Just make sure Mrs. Calcaterra and Tiffany don’t know anything about your juices flowing down there in the Priciest—er, uh, Happiest—Place on Earth.

2. Utley's Hair - Dec 6, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Dear God, just what Craig needs to ratchet up his bashing on the Phightins. Just remember, the Phils just watched their starting rightfielder saunter out of town with one of the worst conceivable contracts of all time, so Ruben’s probably still a little giggle happy and tipsy.

3. nps6724 - Dec 6, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I will pay Philly to sign him.

4. yankeesfanlen - Dec 6, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Frenchie returns! Guess we don’t have Beep-beep to kick around anymore.

5. Jonny 5 - Dec 6, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Frenchie would be smart to stay away from Philly. If he wishes to retain any self confidence he will.

I just don’t see Frenchie being what the Phills have in mind as Werth’s replacement. They did offer him 3yrs-48 million. I’d like to think they could get someone better than Frenchie with that $$. Right???

• Utley's Hair - Dec 6, 2010 at 2:24 PM

If they offer anything remotely similar to a fraction of that to Frenchie, I fear for Rube’s life.

6. mcsnide - Dec 6, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Starks’ “He has to weigh winning vs. playing” cracked me up. In other words, good teams would view him only as a defensive replacement/platoon player, while the Royals would give him 162 starts.

7. Old Gator - Dec 6, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Oh boy, I bet Oliver Sacks would choke on the list of complexes Francoeur would develop if he had to play in Feelie and listen to the booing, jeering and inexhaustibly creative revilement from the stands there when he plays like…well, like he does. Add to the scarring of his cerebral dendrites all the cholesterol plaque that would form in his arteries from a season of scarfing horrible horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches and you’ve got the poor guy signing an incentive-laden contract with some AA-ball team by the season after next.

Then Craig really won’t have anyone to kick around anymore.

8. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM

This is all assuming that Frenchie won’t be suspended for life for MLB for betting. I don’t know, but a $50K payment to the clubhouse bookie on the way out of town should be raising some eyebrows somewhere.

• jfk69 - Dec 6, 2010 at 7:46 PM

I offered to run the same errands for Frenchie for only 25k. He offered me odds of 10 to 1 that i wouldn’t last a week. I countered with 2 to 1 he would be out of baseball in two years.

9. cuffie1 - Dec 6, 2010 at 11:54 PM

When you refuse to understand the game you will be out of the game. You can only swing at the first pitch every time and put yourself at 0-1 so many times before everyone sees that you have no clue how to play the game.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3301)