Dec 6, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is now official, pending physical exams. Baltimore will send relievers David Hernandez and Kam Mickolio to Arizona for Mark Reynolds.
President of baseball operations Andy MacPhail admitted this morning that the Orioles are “making progress” with the Diamondbacks on a trade for Mark Reynolds, which given the typical lack of public statements about in-the-works deals suggests the two sides are very close to getting something done.
Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com reports that David Hernandez would likely be the centerpiece of the trade from Arizona’s point of view. He has underwhelming overall numbers with a 4.93 ERA in 181 career innings, but Hernandez thrived after moving from the rotation to the bullpen and is now viewed as a long-term reliever.
He was consistently knocked around as a starter, but Hernandez is 7-3 with a 2.95 ERA and 49/13 K/BB ratio in 40 innings as a reliever and also has the raw stuff teams generally look for in late-inning options. His average fastball this year clocked in at 94 miles per hour and he posted big strikeout totals in the minors.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)