Dec 6, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is now official, pending physical exams. Baltimore will send relievers David Hernandez and Kam Mickolio to Arizona for Mark Reynolds.
President of baseball operations Andy MacPhail admitted this morning that the Orioles are “making progress” with the Diamondbacks on a trade for Mark Reynolds, which given the typical lack of public statements about in-the-works deals suggests the two sides are very close to getting something done.
Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com reports that David Hernandez would likely be the centerpiece of the trade from Arizona’s point of view. He has underwhelming overall numbers with a 4.93 ERA in 181 career innings, but Hernandez thrived after moving from the rotation to the bullpen and is now viewed as a long-term reliever.
He was consistently knocked around as a starter, but Hernandez is 7-3 with a 2.95 ERA and 49/13 K/BB ratio in 40 innings as a reliever and also has the raw stuff teams generally look for in late-inning options. His average fastball this year clocked in at 94 miles per hour and he posted big strikeout totals in the minors.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)