Dec 6, 2010, 10:13 AM EST
The Veteran’s Committee has spoken and Pat Gillick is the only person who was elected to the Hall of Fame.
In addition to holding many other jobs in baseball, Pat Gillick built the Blue Jays from an expansion team into a World Series champ and did an excellent job in both Seattle — building the team that won 116 games in 2001 — and Philly, where he built the team that won the 2008 World Series and continues to dominate today.
But taking nothing away from Gillick, this vote is more notable for who was left off: George Steinbrenner and Marvin Miller. Each of whom belong in the Hall of Fame.
Yes, I realize that Steinbrenner was a troubling figure. He had his faults — some criminal — and he was crazy-divisive. But he was also a truly a transformative figure in baseball history. And the Hall of Fame is — or at least should be — about history. And impact. And, ultimately, excellence. Steinbrenner fits that bill.
What more can be said about Marvin Miller? He fell one vote short, it is being reported. He should have been in years ago. Baseball today cannot be understood without understanding Marvin Miller’s contributions and passing him over yet again is a travesty.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)