Dec 6, 2010, 10:13 AM EDT
The Veteran’s Committee has spoken and Pat Gillick is the only person who was elected to the Hall of Fame.
In addition to holding many other jobs in baseball, Pat Gillick built the Blue Jays from an expansion team into a World Series champ and did an excellent job in both Seattle — building the team that won 116 games in 2001 — and Philly, where he built the team that won the 2008 World Series and continues to dominate today.
But taking nothing away from Gillick, this vote is more notable for who was left off: George Steinbrenner and Marvin Miller. Each of whom belong in the Hall of Fame.
Yes, I realize that Steinbrenner was a troubling figure. He had his faults — some criminal — and he was crazy-divisive. But he was also a truly a transformative figure in baseball history. And the Hall of Fame is — or at least should be — about history. And impact. And, ultimately, excellence. Steinbrenner fits that bill.
What more can be said about Marvin Miller? He fell one vote short, it is being reported. He should have been in years ago. Baseball today cannot be understood without understanding Marvin Miller’s contributions and passing him over yet again is a travesty.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)