Dec 6, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Last week the Red Sox non-tendered Hideki Okajima and Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald reports that they may look to replace him as the left-handed setup man with Brian Fuentes.
Fuentes pitched well for the Twins after coming over in an August 27 trade with the Angels, but Minnesota is not expected to make a push to re-sign him in part because the longtime closer was said to be seeking another crack at ninth-inning duties.
He wouldn’t be in the mix for saves in Boston, but perhaps Fuentes has found a lack of interest in him as a closer. For instance, Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that the Diamondbacks are not in the mix for Fuentes and Arizona is among the teams mentioned as being in the market for a closer.
Fuentes had a 2.81 ERA and 47/20 K/BB ratio in 48 innings between the Angels and Twins this year and the 35-year-old southpaw has the sixth-best career ERA among all active relievers with at least 500 innings.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games