Dec 6, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Last week the Red Sox non-tendered Hideki Okajima and Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald reports that they may look to replace him as the left-handed setup man with Brian Fuentes.
Fuentes pitched well for the Twins after coming over in an August 27 trade with the Angels, but Minnesota is not expected to make a push to re-sign him in part because the longtime closer was said to be seeking another crack at ninth-inning duties.
He wouldn’t be in the mix for saves in Boston, but perhaps Fuentes has found a lack of interest in him as a closer. For instance, Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that the Diamondbacks are not in the mix for Fuentes and Arizona is among the teams mentioned as being in the market for a closer.
Fuentes had a 2.81 ERA and 47/20 K/BB ratio in 48 innings between the Angels and Twins this year and the 35-year-old southpaw has the sixth-best career ERA among all active relievers with at least 500 innings.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)