Dec 6, 2010, 12:46 PM EST
Last week the Red Sox non-tendered Hideki Okajima and Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald reports that they may look to replace him as the left-handed setup man with Brian Fuentes.
Fuentes pitched well for the Twins after coming over in an August 27 trade with the Angels, but Minnesota is not expected to make a push to re-sign him in part because the longtime closer was said to be seeking another crack at ninth-inning duties.
He wouldn’t be in the mix for saves in Boston, but perhaps Fuentes has found a lack of interest in him as a closer. For instance, Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that the Diamondbacks are not in the mix for Fuentes and Arizona is among the teams mentioned as being in the market for a closer.
Fuentes had a 2.81 ERA and 47/20 K/BB ratio in 48 innings between the Angels and Twins this year and the 35-year-old southpaw has the sixth-best career ERA among all active relievers with at least 500 innings.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (98)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)