Dec 6, 2010, 12:46 PM EST
Last week the Red Sox non-tendered Hideki Okajima and Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald reports that they may look to replace him as the left-handed setup man with Brian Fuentes.
Fuentes pitched well for the Twins after coming over in an August 27 trade with the Angels, but Minnesota is not expected to make a push to re-sign him in part because the longtime closer was said to be seeking another crack at ninth-inning duties.
He wouldn’t be in the mix for saves in Boston, but perhaps Fuentes has found a lack of interest in him as a closer. For instance, Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that the Diamondbacks are not in the mix for Fuentes and Arizona is among the teams mentioned as being in the market for a closer.
Fuentes had a 2.81 ERA and 47/20 K/BB ratio in 48 innings between the Angels and Twins this year and the 35-year-old southpaw has the sixth-best career ERA among all active relievers with at least 500 innings.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)