Dec 6, 2010, 5:03 PM EDT
Bob Nightengale reports that the Red Sox have a preliminary agreement to sign Adrian Gonzalez to a seven-year $154 million extension. The deal probably won’t be announced until April because of the luxury tax, however.
- If Gonzalez couldn’t bootstrap the Jayson Werth deal into something bigger for himself, there’s no reason to think that Carl Crawford can, as so many people are assuming he will. Just because the Nats are dumb doesn’t mean any other teams are; and
- If there really is a deal in place now, this waiting until April to avoid the luxury tax business is silly. When the game is being so transparently rigged, it’s time to change the rules of the game.
All of that said, anyone who thinks that the Sox traded for Gonzalez without thinking that they were certain that an extension would get done is nutso.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 10
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 115
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (115)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)