Dec 6, 2010, 9:05 PM EST
According to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse, the Twins have offered Tsuyoshi Nishioka a multi-year contract.
One source tells Price that the Twins are trying to sign the switch-hitting infielder to a two or three-year contract worth between $3-4 million per season while another says the team is offering a three-year deal worth $9-10 million in full.
The Twins secured exclusive negotiating rights with Nishioka after submitting a bid of $5 million, so it’s possible that they could secure him for multiple seasons without spending more than $15 million total. The Japanese infielder is a bit of an unknown quantity, but that’s not bad considering the money that is flying around so far this winter. The club has until December 26 to sign him.
Nishioka, 26, has a .293 batting average over parts of eight seasons with the Chiba Lotte Marines and led Japan’s Pacific League with a .346 batting average this past season. The club tendered a contract to J.J. Hardy last week, so Nishioka would likely play second base if the two sides come to an agreement.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)