Rosenthal: Cliff Lee will receive a seven-year offer

Dec 6, 2010, 10:52 PM EDT

Cliff Lee

Interesting tidbits about Cliff Lee from Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.

Major league sources tell him that at least one team has “expressed a willingness” to offer the left-hander a seven-year contract.

Rosenthal originally wrote that the Yankees would be the “most likely” team to offer him a seven-year contract, but he has since tweeted that the Bombers do not plan to offer Lee seven years. Could it be…a mystery team? Dun-dun-dun.

If some team is willing to give Lee seven years, well, good luck with that. The Yankees have the ability to outbid anybody, but giving a seven-year contract to a starting pitcher is a risky proposition, especially for one who is already 32 years old and had back problems this past season. Then again, if Andy Pettitte is serious about retirement, they may have to reconsider.

The one thing I do know is that the more inflated the market for Cliff Lee becomes, the more sense it makes for the Rangers to walk away and move the younger, cheaper Neftali Feliz to the starting rotation.

1. bloodysock - Dec 6, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Dun-dun-dun.

Must be the Nationals or Rockies with crazy talk like seven years.

• shawon0meter - Dec 6, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Jim Hendry, you really had me thinking we were gonna do nothing this off-season but try to swap bad contracts and sign a declining first baseman! You got me!

2. pisano - Dec 7, 2010 at 12:07 AM

If I were the Yankees I’d wish him the best and move on. Some team is going to get burned with this contract and I hope the Yankees are smart enough to back away from this one.

• iamthedoublestandard - Dec 7, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Cashman vowed that seven years is a deal breaker. For me, six years is a deal breaker. The guy is 32.

• pisano - Dec 7, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Ditto, Obviously they’re going to get all they can, but at his age and his history of back problems I agree that five would be the max for Lee.

3. greg523 - Dec 7, 2010 at 1:14 AM

7 years??? Ask the Giants how that worked out for Barry Zito

• uyf1950 - Dec 7, 2010 at 4:36 AM

Based on Zito you could ask the Giants how 1 year worked out never mind 7 years. But I do agree 7 years is way to long, unless the team makes the 7th year a mutual option year. Even 6 years guaranteed for a 32 year old is a bit long for my liking. But unfortunately the Yankees need him, since the options are not very good for them to sign someone else. I’m not a big Greinke fan. I can’t see him pitching in NY plus his historical numbers with the exception of 1 year are not that great.

4. jfk69 - Dec 7, 2010 at 5:12 AM

I wouldn’t give any pitcher a seven year deal. In fact I would only go four years with a team option for the fifth year. If any team wants to guarantee six years for a pitcher….He is yours and good luck..
    You will be looking for me to take him off your hands in the fourth year at the trade deadline.
    If the Yankees give Lee seven years…He better so much as not sprain his big toe or get a finger blister. One starter already with a deal that long is enough.

• uyf1950 - Dec 7, 2010 at 5:54 AM

Obviously your reference is to CC Sabathia. The question I would ask you is would you give a 5 year contract to a pitcher who is 30 years old and over the last 4 years has a 76-32 Win/Loss record for a .704 Winning % , and a .310 ERA during that span? I think any GM worth his salt would say absolutely and most any fan of any team would agree. If CC were on the market today that’s what his numbers would would like. So the Yankees decision 2 years ago to offer CC the contract they did was not a bad decision looking at it 2 years later.
      BTW add on top of that he has won a CY and World Series ring and was the MVP of the 2009 ALCS during that 4 year span and you would have GM’s jumping through hoops to sign him today.

5. Jonny 5 - Dec 7, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Well, It’s gotta be the Sox, Or the Nats. They seem to like the 7 year contract.

Seriously though. 7 years for any pitcher, let alone a 32 year old, is very #%@#$ insane. I don’t know who could be that crazy. Besides the above mentioned at least. The Giants should have learned their lesson by now right?

• phillysoulfan - Dec 7, 2010 at 9:08 AM

How about Ed Wade?

6. hasbeen5 - Dec 7, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Anybody remember a guy named Mike Hampton?

7. rick1922 - Dec 7, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Anyone dum enough to give him 7 years GOOD LUCK.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet