Dec 6, 2010, 10:52 PM EST
Interesting tidbits about Cliff Lee from Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.
Major league sources tell him that at least one team has “expressed a willingness” to offer the left-hander a seven-year contract.
Rosenthal originally wrote that the Yankees would be the “most likely” team to offer him a seven-year contract, but he has since tweeted that the Bombers do not plan to offer Lee seven years. Could it be…a mystery team? Dun-dun-dun.
If some team is willing to give Lee seven years, well, good luck with that. The Yankees have the ability to outbid anybody, but giving a seven-year contract to a starting pitcher is a risky proposition, especially for one who is already 32 years old and had back problems this past season. Then again, if Andy Pettitte is serious about retirement, they may have to reconsider.
The one thing I do know is that the more inflated the market for Cliff Lee becomes, the more sense it makes for the Rangers to walk away and move the younger, cheaper Neftali Feliz to the starting rotation.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)