Dec 6, 2010, 10:52 PM EST
Interesting tidbits about Cliff Lee from Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.
Major league sources tell him that at least one team has “expressed a willingness” to offer the left-hander a seven-year contract.
Rosenthal originally wrote that the Yankees would be the “most likely” team to offer him a seven-year contract, but he has since tweeted that the Bombers do not plan to offer Lee seven years. Could it be…a mystery team? Dun-dun-dun.
If some team is willing to give Lee seven years, well, good luck with that. The Yankees have the ability to outbid anybody, but giving a seven-year contract to a starting pitcher is a risky proposition, especially for one who is already 32 years old and had back problems this past season. Then again, if Andy Pettitte is serious about retirement, they may have to reconsider.
The one thing I do know is that the more inflated the market for Cliff Lee becomes, the more sense it makes for the Rangers to walk away and move the younger, cheaper Neftali Feliz to the starting rotation.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)