Dec 6, 2010, 8:51 PM EDT
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told reporters that he met with Albert Pujols’ agent Dan Lozano today, according to B.J. Rains of FOXSportsMidwest.com.
Mozeliak wouldn’t classify the talks as “negotiations” and cautioned that he doesn’t intend to provide regular updates to the media in regards to a contract extension.
“This is not going to be negotiated in the media,” Mozeliak said. “When and why things happen, I think both Dan and I would like to keep that private and confidential. I think that’s how we’ll proceed. You’re not going to get a play-by-play and we’re not going to announce if we’re talking or not. At some point if we feel there needs to be a public statement and we both agree on it, then we’ll do it.”
“Rather than me be coy every time you guys ask, just understand that’s his request and I’m perfectly happy working under those conditions. If we have a chance to do something, it just makes more sense to do it confidentially.”
Mozeliak has previously indicated that he hopes to get something done before Christmas, so if all goes well, the next time we’ll hear about this situation from either the team or Pujols’ representatives is when they are ready to make an official announcement on an extension. Pujols is obviously in his own stratosphere, but Cardinals fans have to feel good about Adrian Gonzalez’s pending contract extension with the Red Sox, as it seemingly takes one potential suitor out of the bidding.
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 30
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 14
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86