Dec 6, 2010, 11:45 AM EST
Moments ago the Red Sox held a press conference to officially announce the trade sending four prospects to the Padres for Adrian Gonzalez and general manager Theo Epstein told the assembled media that he’s “very confident” the two sides will agree on a long-term contract extension.
At various points yesterday it looked like the blockbuster trade would be called off when Gonzalez and the Red Sox weren’t able to finalize a new contract during the negotiating window granted by MLB, but Epstein went ahead with the trade anyway and indicated that the talks got close enough that an eventual compromise is inevitable.
During the press conference Gonzalez seemed thrilled about coming to Boston, calling it “the best fit for me” and referencing Red Sox great Ted Williams several times. Having a GM who’s “very confident” he’ll soon be giving you a deal for $150 million or so probably helps too.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)