Dec 6, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Moments ago the Red Sox held a press conference to officially announce the trade sending four prospects to the Padres for Adrian Gonzalez and general manager Theo Epstein told the assembled media that he’s “very confident” the two sides will agree on a long-term contract extension.
At various points yesterday it looked like the blockbuster trade would be called off when Gonzalez and the Red Sox weren’t able to finalize a new contract during the negotiating window granted by MLB, but Epstein went ahead with the trade anyway and indicated that the talks got close enough that an eventual compromise is inevitable.
During the press conference Gonzalez seemed thrilled about coming to Boston, calling it “the best fit for me” and referencing Red Sox great Ted Williams several times. Having a GM who’s “very confident” he’ll soon be giving you a deal for $150 million or so probably helps too.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 11
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 68
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 34
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)