Dec 6, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Moments ago the Red Sox held a press conference to officially announce the trade sending four prospects to the Padres for Adrian Gonzalez and general manager Theo Epstein told the assembled media that he’s “very confident” the two sides will agree on a long-term contract extension.
At various points yesterday it looked like the blockbuster trade would be called off when Gonzalez and the Red Sox weren’t able to finalize a new contract during the negotiating window granted by MLB, but Epstein went ahead with the trade anyway and indicated that the talks got close enough that an eventual compromise is inevitable.
During the press conference Gonzalez seemed thrilled about coming to Boston, calling it “the best fit for me” and referencing Red Sox great Ted Williams several times. Having a GM who’s “very confident” he’ll soon be giving you a deal for $150 million or so probably helps too.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 28
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 45
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 48
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)