Dec 6, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Moments ago the Red Sox held a press conference to officially announce the trade sending four prospects to the Padres for Adrian Gonzalez and general manager Theo Epstein told the assembled media that he’s “very confident” the two sides will agree on a long-term contract extension.
At various points yesterday it looked like the blockbuster trade would be called off when Gonzalez and the Red Sox weren’t able to finalize a new contract during the negotiating window granted by MLB, but Epstein went ahead with the trade anyway and indicated that the talks got close enough that an eventual compromise is inevitable.
During the press conference Gonzalez seemed thrilled about coming to Boston, calling it “the best fit for me” and referencing Red Sox great Ted Williams several times. Having a GM who’s “very confident” he’ll soon be giving you a deal for $150 million or so probably helps too.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)