Dec 6, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Moments ago the Red Sox held a press conference to officially announce the trade sending four prospects to the Padres for Adrian Gonzalez and general manager Theo Epstein told the assembled media that he’s “very confident” the two sides will agree on a long-term contract extension.
At various points yesterday it looked like the blockbuster trade would be called off when Gonzalez and the Red Sox weren’t able to finalize a new contract during the negotiating window granted by MLB, but Epstein went ahead with the trade anyway and indicated that the talks got close enough that an eventual compromise is inevitable.
During the press conference Gonzalez seemed thrilled about coming to Boston, calling it “the best fit for me” and referencing Red Sox great Ted Williams several times. Having a GM who’s “very confident” he’ll soon be giving you a deal for $150 million or so probably helps too.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)