Dec 6, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
Prior to trading Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox the Padres were said to be fielding offers from several other teams, and now Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the White Sox finished runner-up with their offer.
According to Nightengale they were willing to trade “Gordon Beckham and prospects” for Gonzalez, but the Padres preferred the Red Sox’s all-prospect offer featuring Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, and Reymond Fuentes.
It’s tough to really judge Chicago’s offer without knowing the “and prospects” part, but it’s interesting just to note that the White Sox are willing to deal Beckham after previously making him semi-untouchable in blockbuster talks. His disappointing season no doubt caused his stock to decline in everyone’s eyes, but he’s still a 24-year-old former No. 8 overall pick who seemingly everyone was in love with this time last year.
So far he’s hit .260 with a .331 on-base percentage and .416 slugging percentage in 234 career games.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)