Dec 6, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
Prior to trading Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox the Padres were said to be fielding offers from several other teams, and now Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the White Sox finished runner-up with their offer.
According to Nightengale they were willing to trade “Gordon Beckham and prospects” for Gonzalez, but the Padres preferred the Red Sox’s all-prospect offer featuring Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo, and Reymond Fuentes.
It’s tough to really judge Chicago’s offer without knowing the “and prospects” part, but it’s interesting just to note that the White Sox are willing to deal Beckham after previously making him semi-untouchable in blockbuster talks. His disappointing season no doubt caused his stock to decline in everyone’s eyes, but he’s still a 24-year-old former No. 8 overall pick who seemingly everyone was in love with this time last year.
So far he’s hit .260 with a .331 on-base percentage and .416 slugging percentage in 234 career games.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (152)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)