Dec 7, 2010, 11:33 AM EDT
As I’m typing this, there is a press conference going nearby on in which Bud Selig and Major League Baseball is honoring retiring managers Joe Torre, Cito Gaston, Lou Piniella and Bobby Cox.* It’s fun hearing these managers — with the still-active Tony La Russa, among the greatest crop of managers baseball has ever seen — hold forth on their careers and their legacies.
And then there’s Bud. When introducing Piniella, he said that the Pilots traded Pinella “two days after we came in an bought the Pilots to move them to Milwaukee.” Only problem: he was a year off. As anyone who read “Ball Four” know, Pinella was traded at the beginning of the 1969 season. Selig’s group bought the Pilots just before the 1970 season. Other than that, aces.
In other news, Abner Doubleday continues to not have invented baseball.
*Cox had a family emergency and had to leave
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 4
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (103)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)