Dec 7, 2010, 8:52 PM EDT
According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Braves will soon begin discussing a contract extension for the recently-acquired Dan Uggla.
Uggla rejected a four-year, $48 million extension from the Marlins before being traded to the Braves last month. Still, Braves general manager Frank Wren is optimistic that the two sides will be able to reach an agreement.
“The early discussions we’ve had — really just introductory discussions — have been very pleasant,” Wren said. “I think there’s a mutual desire for us to keep him long-term and for him to stay long-term. I think that’s come through loud and clear, both from Terry [Bross, Uggla’s agent] and from Dan.”
“And I think we’ve made it very clear that’s what we want to have happen. But we haven’t gone beyond that. There will be an appropriate time for that.” Wren smiled. “And hopefully you guys won’t know a thing about it till it’s over.”
Uggla, who turns 31 in March, earned $7.8 million this past season and is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)