Dec 7, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Apparently looking to replace Derrek Lee at first base with another veteran the Cubs have talked to agent Scott Boras about Carlos Pena, according to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com.
Muskat reports that general manager Jim Hendy met with Boras to “discuss” Pena, but no salary figures were exchanged.
Pena continued to show tons of power and patience this year, smacking 28 homers and drawing 87 walks in 144 games, but he batted just .196 and had a .732 OPS after posting a combined .935 OPS during his first three seasons with the Rays.
In addition to the Cubs’ interest Pena has also been linked heavily to the Nationals.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)