Dec 7, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Apparently looking to replace Derrek Lee at first base with another veteran the Cubs have talked to agent Scott Boras about Carlos Pena, according to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com.
Muskat reports that general manager Jim Hendy met with Boras to “discuss” Pena, but no salary figures were exchanged.
Pena continued to show tons of power and patience this year, smacking 28 homers and drawing 87 walks in 144 games, but he batted just .196 and had a .732 OPS after posting a combined .935 OPS during his first three seasons with the Rays.
In addition to the Cubs’ interest Pena has also been linked heavily to the Nationals.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)