Dec 7, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Apparently looking to replace Derrek Lee at first base with another veteran the Cubs have talked to agent Scott Boras about Carlos Pena, according to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com.
Muskat reports that general manager Jim Hendy met with Boras to “discuss” Pena, but no salary figures were exchanged.
Pena continued to show tons of power and patience this year, smacking 28 homers and drawing 87 walks in 144 games, but he batted just .196 and had a .732 OPS after posting a combined .935 OPS during his first three seasons with the Rays.
In addition to the Cubs’ interest Pena has also been linked heavily to the Nationals.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)