Dec 7, 2010, 3:59 PM EDT
The Yankees had a press conference to officially announce Derek Jeter’s new contract today. Except it wasn’t here in Orlando where every Yankees official and the entire New York Yankees press corps happens to be. It was in Tampa, where Derek Jeter happens to live. Seems he wasn’t keene on coming here, so everyone had to schlep it down Interstate 4 to see The Captain. Team player, you see.
The press conference was generally uneventful, but Jeter did have a couple of pointed words:
“The thing that probably bothered me the most was how public this became. … It was not an enjoyable experience. … I’d be lying to you if I said I wasn’t angry about how some of this went.”
He walked it back a bit after that, talking about how everyone is one big happy family, but it’s pretty clear he was annoyed.
Moshe Mandel of TYU has the best take I’ve seen on all of this, in which he says that Jeter and the Yankees should just view this all like an arbitration. People say stuff in an arbitration. Then it’s over. Makes sense to me.
Well, maybe that’s the second best take. The best came from Twitter’s Old Hoss Radbourn:
Unlike D. Jeter, Hoss would never be angry if someone publicly announced they were going to overpay me.
Sometimes it takes the ghost of a 19th century pitcher/Union soldier/absinthe abuser to give us the best perspective on things, ya know?
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 6
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 42
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)