Dec 7, 2010, 3:59 PM EDT
The Yankees had a press conference to officially announce Derek Jeter’s new contract today. Except it wasn’t here in Orlando where every Yankees official and the entire New York Yankees press corps happens to be. It was in Tampa, where Derek Jeter happens to live. Seems he wasn’t keene on coming here, so everyone had to schlep it down Interstate 4 to see The Captain. Team player, you see.
The press conference was generally uneventful, but Jeter did have a couple of pointed words:
“The thing that probably bothered me the most was how public this became. … It was not an enjoyable experience. … I’d be lying to you if I said I wasn’t angry about how some of this went.”
He walked it back a bit after that, talking about how everyone is one big happy family, but it’s pretty clear he was annoyed.
Moshe Mandel of TYU has the best take I’ve seen on all of this, in which he says that Jeter and the Yankees should just view this all like an arbitration. People say stuff in an arbitration. Then it’s over. Makes sense to me.
Well, maybe that’s the second best take. The best came from Twitter’s Old Hoss Radbourn:
Unlike D. Jeter, Hoss would never be angry if someone publicly announced they were going to overpay me.
Sometimes it takes the ghost of a 19th century pitcher/Union soldier/absinthe abuser to give us the best perspective on things, ya know?
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)