Dec 7, 2010, 3:59 PM EDT
The Yankees had a press conference to officially announce Derek Jeter’s new contract today. Except it wasn’t here in Orlando where every Yankees official and the entire New York Yankees press corps happens to be. It was in Tampa, where Derek Jeter happens to live. Seems he wasn’t keene on coming here, so everyone had to schlep it down Interstate 4 to see The Captain. Team player, you see.
The press conference was generally uneventful, but Jeter did have a couple of pointed words:
“The thing that probably bothered me the most was how public this became. … It was not an enjoyable experience. … I’d be lying to you if I said I wasn’t angry about how some of this went.”
He walked it back a bit after that, talking about how everyone is one big happy family, but it’s pretty clear he was annoyed.
Moshe Mandel of TYU has the best take I’ve seen on all of this, in which he says that Jeter and the Yankees should just view this all like an arbitration. People say stuff in an arbitration. Then it’s over. Makes sense to me.
Well, maybe that’s the second best take. The best came from Twitter’s Old Hoss Radbourn:
Unlike D. Jeter, Hoss would never be angry if someone publicly announced they were going to overpay me.
Sometimes it takes the ghost of a 19th century pitcher/Union soldier/absinthe abuser to give us the best perspective on things, ya know?
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)