Dec 7, 2010, 1:07 PM EST
UPDATE: I’m just going to stop updating this Cliff Lee stuff, because it’s changing too fast: now it’s being reported that the Nationals and Lee are “maintaining a dialogue.” Still, Lee’s agent is saying that a deal is unlikely this week, so take it all for what it’s worth.
11:57 A.M.: Well, there goes our fun for the morning. Jon Heyman says that the Nats aren’t really in on Lee and that they’re looking at other pitchers instead. So if Heyman is right, earlier reports are no longer operative. That’s how the Winter Meetings roll, I guess.
To get us through the afternoon I think I’ll start a new rumor or two. In the comments, please put the best ideas for rumors that are (a) obviously not true; but (b) still sorta kinda plausible if you squint. I’ll consider tweeting the best ones as stone-cold-fact tonight during happy hour.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)