Dec 7, 2010, 1:07 PM EST
UPDATE: I’m just going to stop updating this Cliff Lee stuff, because it’s changing too fast: now it’s being reported that the Nationals and Lee are “maintaining a dialogue.” Still, Lee’s agent is saying that a deal is unlikely this week, so take it all for what it’s worth.
11:57 A.M.: Well, there goes our fun for the morning. Jon Heyman says that the Nats aren’t really in on Lee and that they’re looking at other pitchers instead. So if Heyman is right, earlier reports are no longer operative. That’s how the Winter Meetings roll, I guess.
To get us through the afternoon I think I’ll start a new rumor or two. In the comments, please put the best ideas for rumors that are (a) obviously not true; but (b) still sorta kinda plausible if you squint. I’ll consider tweeting the best ones as stone-cold-fact tonight during happy hour.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 50
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 21
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)