Dec 7, 2010, 1:07 PM EDT
UPDATE: I’m just going to stop updating this Cliff Lee stuff, because it’s changing too fast: now it’s being reported that the Nationals and Lee are “maintaining a dialogue.” Still, Lee’s agent is saying that a deal is unlikely this week, so take it all for what it’s worth.
11:57 A.M.: Well, there goes our fun for the morning. Jon Heyman says that the Nats aren’t really in on Lee and that they’re looking at other pitchers instead. So if Heyman is right, earlier reports are no longer operative. That’s how the Winter Meetings roll, I guess.
To get us through the afternoon I think I’ll start a new rumor or two. In the comments, please put the best ideas for rumors that are (a) obviously not true; but (b) still sorta kinda plausible if you squint. I’ll consider tweeting the best ones as stone-cold-fact tonight during happy hour.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 28
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 48
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 88
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (89)