Dec 7, 2010, 12:47 PM EST
While appearing on MLB Network moments ago Peter Gammons revealed that the Red Sox “continue to talk to the Mets” about Carlos Beltran.
Here’s more from Gammons, courtesy of transcriber-extraordinaire Matthew Cerrone of MetsBlog.com:
The relationship between Beltran and the Mets is not great. He’s not going to play in the outfield for 150 games and there are still hard feelings between ownership and Scott Boras because of the operation Beltran had a year ago.
Gammons speculated that the Mets could offer to cover about $10 million of Beltran’s salary in an effort to move him, either by sending cash in a trade or taking back another team’s unwanted contract. In the Red Sox’s case he mentioned Daisuke Matsuzaka or Marco Scutaro as possibilities, but added: “I don’t think the Red Sox will do that.”
Boston is said to be in the mix for Magglio Ordonez, who’s 37 years old and missed half of this season with an ankle injury, so it’s not that far-fetched that their search for a good-hitting outfielder could include Beltran now that there’s just one year remaining on his contract.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)