Dec 7, 2010, 12:47 PM EDT
While appearing on MLB Network moments ago Peter Gammons revealed that the Red Sox “continue to talk to the Mets” about Carlos Beltran.
Here’s more from Gammons, courtesy of transcriber-extraordinaire Matthew Cerrone of MetsBlog.com:
The relationship between Beltran and the Mets is not great. He’s not going to play in the outfield for 150 games and there are still hard feelings between ownership and Scott Boras because of the operation Beltran had a year ago.
Gammons speculated that the Mets could offer to cover about $10 million of Beltran’s salary in an effort to move him, either by sending cash in a trade or taking back another team’s unwanted contract. In the Red Sox’s case he mentioned Daisuke Matsuzaka or Marco Scutaro as possibilities, but added: “I don’t think the Red Sox will do that.”
Boston is said to be in the mix for Magglio Ordonez, who’s 37 years old and missed half of this season with an ankle injury, so it’s not that far-fetched that their search for a good-hitting outfielder could include Beltran now that there’s just one year remaining on his contract.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)