Dec 7, 2010, 12:47 PM EST
While appearing on MLB Network moments ago Peter Gammons revealed that the Red Sox “continue to talk to the Mets” about Carlos Beltran.
Here’s more from Gammons, courtesy of transcriber-extraordinaire Matthew Cerrone of MetsBlog.com:
The relationship between Beltran and the Mets is not great. He’s not going to play in the outfield for 150 games and there are still hard feelings between ownership and Scott Boras because of the operation Beltran had a year ago.
Gammons speculated that the Mets could offer to cover about $10 million of Beltran’s salary in an effort to move him, either by sending cash in a trade or taking back another team’s unwanted contract. In the Red Sox’s case he mentioned Daisuke Matsuzaka or Marco Scutaro as possibilities, but added: “I don’t think the Red Sox will do that.”
Boston is said to be in the mix for Magglio Ordonez, who’s 37 years old and missed half of this season with an ankle injury, so it’s not that far-fetched that their search for a good-hitting outfielder could include Beltran now that there’s just one year remaining on his contract.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)