Dec 7, 2010, 12:47 PM EDT
While appearing on MLB Network moments ago Peter Gammons revealed that the Red Sox “continue to talk to the Mets” about Carlos Beltran.
Here’s more from Gammons, courtesy of transcriber-extraordinaire Matthew Cerrone of MetsBlog.com:
The relationship between Beltran and the Mets is not great. He’s not going to play in the outfield for 150 games and there are still hard feelings between ownership and Scott Boras because of the operation Beltran had a year ago.
Gammons speculated that the Mets could offer to cover about $10 million of Beltran’s salary in an effort to move him, either by sending cash in a trade or taking back another team’s unwanted contract. In the Red Sox’s case he mentioned Daisuke Matsuzaka or Marco Scutaro as possibilities, but added: “I don’t think the Red Sox will do that.”
Boston is said to be in the mix for Magglio Ordonez, who’s 37 years old and missed half of this season with an ankle injury, so it’s not that far-fetched that their search for a good-hitting outfielder could include Beltran now that there’s just one year remaining on his contract.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)