Dec 7, 2010, 12:47 PM EDT
While appearing on MLB Network moments ago Peter Gammons revealed that the Red Sox “continue to talk to the Mets” about Carlos Beltran.
Here’s more from Gammons, courtesy of transcriber-extraordinaire Matthew Cerrone of MetsBlog.com:
The relationship between Beltran and the Mets is not great. He’s not going to play in the outfield for 150 games and there are still hard feelings between ownership and Scott Boras because of the operation Beltran had a year ago.
Gammons speculated that the Mets could offer to cover about $10 million of Beltran’s salary in an effort to move him, either by sending cash in a trade or taking back another team’s unwanted contract. In the Red Sox’s case he mentioned Daisuke Matsuzaka or Marco Scutaro as possibilities, but added: “I don’t think the Red Sox will do that.”
Boston is said to be in the mix for Magglio Ordonez, who’s 37 years old and missed half of this season with an ankle injury, so it’s not that far-fetched that their search for a good-hitting outfielder could include Beltran now that there’s just one year remaining on his contract.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)