Dec 7, 2010, 7:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s done. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Mets have signed Carrasco to a two-year contract.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York hears that he’ll make $2.5 million in the deal, so it’s hard to get too bent out of shape about this one. Good value signing.
5:17 PM: Free agent reliever D.J. Carrasco and the Mets “are working on a two-year deal,” according to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse.
General manager Sandy Alderson has said that the Mets are likely to be mostly bystanders this winter, shopping for low-cost role players instead of trying to make a big splash, and Carrasco fits the bill as an underrated pickup.
Arizona had MLB’s worst bullpen ERA by a full run this season and Carrasco was only due for a raise to around $1.5 million, so it’s tough to explain why they non-tendered him. After spending 2006 and 2007 in the minors and transitioning to the bullpen full time he’s had ERAs of 3.96, 3.76, and 3.68 with 157 strikeouts in 210 innings and a .255/.327/.356 opponents’ line in the past three years.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)