Dec 7, 2010, 12:17 AM EST
According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, the Pirates have signed Kevin Correia to a two-year, $8 million contract, pending a physical.
Correia, 30, went 10-10 with a 5.40 ERA over 28 games (26 starts) with the Padres in 2010 and lost his spot in the starting rotation during the final month of the season. It was an odd year for Correia in many respects, as he struck out more batters (7.14 K/9) than he did in 2009 (6.45 K/9), but his walk rate increased from 2.91 BB/9 to 3.97 BB/9. He also gave up 20 home runs over 145 innings, despite allowing flyballs less frequently (30.1 percent) than he did in 2009 (36 percent).
In any case, hard to go too crazy about this one. Correia should actually be one of the better starters in a shaky Pittsburgh rotation that includes the likes of James McDonald, Paul Maholm and Ross Ohlendorf, but that’s not saying much, really.
Because Correia (a Type B free agent) turned down arbitration from the Padres, the club will receive a supplementary draft pick in next year’s draft.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)