Dec 7, 2010, 12:17 AM EDT
According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, the Pirates have signed Kevin Correia to a two-year, $8 million contract, pending a physical.
Correia, 30, went 10-10 with a 5.40 ERA over 28 games (26 starts) with the Padres in 2010 and lost his spot in the starting rotation during the final month of the season. It was an odd year for Correia in many respects, as he struck out more batters (7.14 K/9) than he did in 2009 (6.45 K/9), but his walk rate increased from 2.91 BB/9 to 3.97 BB/9. He also gave up 20 home runs over 145 innings, despite allowing flyballs less frequently (30.1 percent) than he did in 2009 (36 percent).
In any case, hard to go too crazy about this one. Correia should actually be one of the better starters in a shaky Pittsburgh rotation that includes the likes of James McDonald, Paul Maholm and Ross Ohlendorf, but that’s not saying much, really.
Because Correia (a Type B free agent) turned down arbitration from the Padres, the club will receive a supplementary draft pick in next year’s draft.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (119)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights