Report: Pujols wants A-Rod money

Dec 7, 2010, 8:35 AM EDT

Albert Pujols

Jon Heyman tweets that Albert Pujols — who’s meeting with the Cardinals today — reportedly wants “A-Rod money.”

To which I’d say if I were the Cardinals: done. Here: take your ten-years and $275 million and we’ll see you in spring training. Really, even if A-Rod’s contract was an overpay at the time, it’s difficult to argue that Pujols doesn’t deserve that.  Indeed, if he hit the market, I suspect at least a couple of other teams would pay it.

The speculation is that the Cards want this done by Christmas.  If $27 million a year is what Pujols wants, it could be done before Hanukkah is over.

1. Panda Claus - Dec 7, 2010 at 8:54 AM

If anyone really “deserves” that sort of obscene contract, Pujols deserves ARod money.

2. Jonny 5 - Dec 7, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Insane. But teams seem to like signing guys until they’re 40 now adays, so what the hell…. The $$ per year is right on, but I’d try like hell to get him at 4 years, even if it means overpaying for 4. And frankly, I’m shocked more teams don’t try it. 35 million per @ 4 years. Wouldn’t it make more sense? Sure they’ll make more than anyone, but you aren’t killing yourself later paying for a guy who might not be able to play. Then in 4 years you only need worry about covering the salary of a “declining player”, if they are still playing, or good enough to resign.

3. Lukehart80 - Dec 7, 2010 at 9:22 AM

It doesn’t look like the Yankees saved much by only having to cover the salary of a declining player. If the Cardinals tried to offer only 4-years (even at $35M per), it would get turned down because SOMEONE would be willing to go 8-10 years. I agree that paying someone $27M when they’re 38-40 years old probably won’t look great, but if that’s the price to keep the best player in the game, someone likely to remain among the best players for the next 5 years, I think you have to pay it.

Unless he can be convinced to sign an 8-year, $40M contract with the Indians ($5M a year being the most Cleveland is likely to offer anyone for the foreseeable future…tempted, Albert???), I would like to see him stay in St. Louis for the duration. Make the offer, Cardinals!

• Jonny 5 - Dec 7, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Good comparison with Jeter, except there were no other offers on the table for Jeter. So it was the Yankees discretion to pay more than he was worth, so the guy could save face basically. Not too many teams would pay out of their pocket so their player can look less Douchie.I do see it as a tough sell though since another team would go 8-10 on Albert, but you have to wow them, 8 million more per season is substantial, couldn’t the highest pay by far per season be enough wow factor to get it done?

Nice pipe dream btw….. LOL!!!

• Lukehart80 - Dec 7, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Dreams are all we Indians’ fans have anymore…

4. uyf1950 - Dec 7, 2010 at 10:09 AM

I think the “more” per year only works if the totla of the 4 year money gets him close to the dollars he was seeking originally. For example, if Pujols is looking for $275M total and someone offers him $35M per for 4 years that’s only $140M. I say “only in relationship to the $275M he was asking. Now $50M per for 4 years I think would get it done because that’s a lot closer to his original asking price. But no one would/will offer those kinds of dollars. So if St. Louis wants to keep him my guess it’s going to take an offer of at least $250M total maybe more.

5. Kevin S. - Dec 7, 2010 at 10:15 AM

I’m with Craig – give him that money. In fact, if the Cardinals have the short-term payroll flexibility, structure it the same way, too – have it peak early and decline into the back-end years.

6. Joe - Dec 7, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I think the Cards would jump on that contract faster than Werth/Boras jumped on the Nats offer.

7. Walk - Dec 7, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Sign him quick before he realizes he is giving them a discount. I honestly thought he was going to get north of 30 million for at least 3 years on any contract he signed. I was figuring his next couple of years would be worth more than couple after that but a lot of these contracts get back loaded so other players can be signed and stay under a set payroll. If he wants arod money though i would consider this as much of a bargain as st louie could hope to get.

8. alara07 - Dec 7, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Pujols is the MAN in Baseball. Most consistant hitter I seen since Tony Gwynn. Only comparing consistancy of production. Pujols is the best Hitter with power and gold glove defender I ever seen in my generation.. The Man deserves the biggest contract in baseball, He sure has proved himself in last 10 years…I wish Dodgers had him.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3448)