Dec 7, 2010, 5:31 PM EDT
Gary Sheffield made an appearance here an hour or so ago. He says he was here because he serves as an advisor — not an agent, but an advisor — for a couple of young players. That makes sense. He was famous for not having his own agent and negotiating all of his deals himself, so I could see him representing other people.
Anyway, when asked in the hallway scrum if he was still wanting to play himself, Sheffield downplayed it. Later, however, he told Steve Kornacki of MLive that, yeah, he’d like to come back and he’d like to play for the Rays. Why? Because he wants to win. Oh, and because he lives in Tampa.
I think someone should have gone after Sheffield last year because he was coming off a nice 2009 with the Mets. One more year removed, however? Eh. Non-roster invite at best. Make him show he can hit in spring training. Nothing more.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)