Dec 7, 2010, 5:31 PM EST
Gary Sheffield made an appearance here an hour or so ago. He says he was here because he serves as an advisor — not an agent, but an advisor — for a couple of young players. That makes sense. He was famous for not having his own agent and negotiating all of his deals himself, so I could see him representing other people.
Anyway, when asked in the hallway scrum if he was still wanting to play himself, Sheffield downplayed it. Later, however, he told Steve Kornacki of MLive that, yeah, he’d like to come back and he’d like to play for the Rays. Why? Because he wants to win. Oh, and because he lives in Tampa.
I think someone should have gone after Sheffield last year because he was coming off a nice 2009 with the Mets. One more year removed, however? Eh. Non-roster invite at best. Make him show he can hit in spring training. Nothing more.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)