Dec 7, 2010, 5:31 PM EDT
Gary Sheffield made an appearance here an hour or so ago. He says he was here because he serves as an advisor — not an agent, but an advisor — for a couple of young players. That makes sense. He was famous for not having his own agent and negotiating all of his deals himself, so I could see him representing other people.
Anyway, when asked in the hallway scrum if he was still wanting to play himself, Sheffield downplayed it. Later, however, he told Steve Kornacki of MLive that, yeah, he’d like to come back and he’d like to play for the Rays. Why? Because he wants to win. Oh, and because he lives in Tampa.
I think someone should have gone after Sheffield last year because he was coming off a nice 2009 with the Mets. One more year removed, however? Eh. Non-roster invite at best. Make him show he can hit in spring training. Nothing more.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)