Dec 7, 2010, 5:31 PM EDT
Gary Sheffield made an appearance here an hour or so ago. He says he was here because he serves as an advisor — not an agent, but an advisor — for a couple of young players. That makes sense. He was famous for not having his own agent and negotiating all of his deals himself, so I could see him representing other people.
Anyway, when asked in the hallway scrum if he was still wanting to play himself, Sheffield downplayed it. Later, however, he told Steve Kornacki of MLive that, yeah, he’d like to come back and he’d like to play for the Rays. Why? Because he wants to win. Oh, and because he lives in Tampa.
I think someone should have gone after Sheffield last year because he was coming off a nice 2009 with the Mets. One more year removed, however? Eh. Non-roster invite at best. Make him show he can hit in spring training. Nothing more.
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot