Dec 7, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
The Baseball Writers Association of America had their big annual meeting this morning. Two things of note happened:
- The writers honored Philly writer Bill Conlin with the J.G. Taylor Spink Award. This is what people refer to when they say that someone has been elected to the “writer’s wing of the Hall of Fame.” There is no wing. There’s a plaque. Good for Conlin, but I’d be lying if I said that his baseball writing over the past couple of decades was Hall of Fame worthy. Oh well, not my club.
- A proposal by Jayson Stark to make an end-of-year award for relief pitchers was rejected.
I hadn’t thought about a reliever award much until I just heard Stark talking about it to someone, but I think it’s a great idea. The one objection people have offered to it is that it would turn into an award to the saves leader or something, further glorifying an all-too-glorified statistic, but I disagree. Look what the end-of-year award debates have done for pitchers wins. When there are stakes to it, thinking gets focused and progress is made. At least recently. Just ask Felix Hernandez, Zack Greinke and Tim Lincecum.
Oh well. Neat idea, Mr. Stark. I bet it happens eventually. I bet they name it the Mariano Rivera Award.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)