The Nationals inquired about Zack Greinke

Dec 7, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT

Zack Greinke

Danny Knobler of CBS Sports.com reports that the Nationals have “inquired” about Zack Greinke.  There’s no sense that there’s a deal to be made there, but the Nats were at least asking.

Here’s my theory: the Nationals came to the Winter Meetings with the intention of making all kinds of headlines about giant offers they’d make and big fish they’d land, all in an effort to make the fans think they raised hell.  Only someone screwed up and they accidentally signed Jayson Werth rather than just bluffing about it.  Oops.

You heard a better theory? I haven’t.

1. Jonny 5 - Dec 7, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Well My theory is this. The Whitehouse is trying to trump up some national pride. And since the Redskins are a complete bust they sent bailout money to the Nats and promised big tax breaks to Lerner for signing bigger name guys. Beat that!

• mtner77 - Dec 7, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Naw. It would be a good theory except for one little thing (just one?). Any left over stimulous money would land on the south side with Jerry, Ken, and Ozzie. And they probably would have used it to sign Labron.

• julietsdaddy - Dec 7, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Wow- a political joke about washington, bailouts, and taxes on a baseball blog!!! What an incredible douche you are. You really got Obama on that one.

The Nationals fan base is a a tipping point. The owners saw what the fans can be like with Strasburg and the fans loved it. The stadium was full. They lose Strasburg and now they need to keep the fans or lose them a loooong time.

DC can get behind a baseball team, but a COMPETITIVE baseball team. I dont think the Lerners are bluffing, they just know this may be their only chance to catch the fan momentum for a while.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 7, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Well now, you’re pretty sensitive aren’t you? I didn’t even mention Obama,jeez… Maybe this is why the crime rate is so high in DC??? It’s gotta be the tension of it’s oversensitive citizens.Yeah that’s gotta be it….

• julietsdaddy - Dec 7, 2010 at 7:01 PM

More touchy about snarky commenters who think they are clever with generic jokes about washington and who spell the White House like whitehouse like its someones last name. Well you do spell your name Jonny, so I guess bad spelling comes from birth.

And generic joke about DC crime? No marion barry jokes? How mid-1990’s of you.

How about you stick to busting on a team not willing to spend money, a destroyed fan base, and top 5 in crime….Baltimore!!!!

• Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Marion Barry??? That’s old news man. I use that for a 4th or 5th joke, never 1st or 2nd. Uhh ohhhs I didn’t spell those correctly either. I’m horrible….. As far as the name?? The “H” is a waste of time and energy isn’t it? I’d say it’s more efficient, but that’s just me. Anyway. Go do some breathing exercises it could help. I guess I’d be angry if I lived there too. I’m glad you’ve made it your mission to go after all comments “snarky”. Your mission is an honorable one….

2. mss16 - Dec 7, 2010 at 5:14 PM

I think the Nationals had a bet with the Redskins on who could get the bigger overrated stiff from Philly. They’re betting Werth’s atrocious RISP numbers will be worse than everything about McNabb.

3. kcfanatic - Dec 7, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Nats have lots of goodies inthe farm system that we would welcome in KC. Would feel pretty bad for Zack though, leaving one loser for another.

4. crankyfrankie - Dec 7, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Yes but any of his anxiety issues would not be threatened by the ,lack of, crowds at the Nats games.

5. julietsdaddy - Dec 7, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Go back and look at the stadium when Strasburg pitched. Fans like winners. You win, they come. You win, and there are less snarky comments on baseball blogs.

6. Chris Fiorentino - Dec 7, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Julietsdaddy, you have to be the most passionate Washington Nationals fan I have ever seen. Maybe if there were more like you, they would not have lost their first team. Or their second. The reason the stadium was filled for Strasburg was because baseball people wanted to watch…not Nationals fans. Washington is a melting pot of fans from all over the USA. They are connected to the Orioles in a lot of ways…mostly because they are stuck behind 3 better teams in their own division at a minimum for the next 5 years. Signing J-Dub for that much cash was absolutely ridiculous. It smells of the Aaron Rowand overpay the Giants were guilty of a few years back. On second thought, maybe the Nationals will follow in the footsteps of the Giants and win the World Series in a few years with Werth platooning and Strasburg playing the role of little timmy

7. julietsdaddy - Dec 7, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I apperciate that. The whole DC just has people from other places is a cliche and just not true. There are two incredibly wealthy parts of MD and VA with tons of his history next to dc that do not consider themselves baltimore. Yes, former baltimore fans were a majority of nats fans, but people were happy to leave Angelos. Fans will come with a winner and hopefully tampa is a model of having lots of number one picks work out, but their fans don’t show up. Remember how bad tampa sucked? The fans are here, its not the sixties with the senators. They will show up, redskins games are half empty when they suck.

Strasburg and harper are the key, but they will need help.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3005)