Dec 7, 2010, 4:30 PM EST
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports.com reports that the Nationals have “inquired” about Zack Greinke. There’s no sense that there’s a deal to be made there, but the Nats were at least asking.
Here’s my theory: the Nationals came to the Winter Meetings with the intention of making all kinds of headlines about giant offers they’d make and big fish they’d land, all in an effort to make the fans think they raised hell. Only someone screwed up and they accidentally signed Jayson Werth rather than just bluffing about it. Oops.
You heard a better theory? I haven’t.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)