Dec 7, 2010, 9:44 AM EDT
The big money continues to be spread around down here in Orlando. The latest: the Rockies have signed Ty Wigginton to a two-year deal worth $7.5 million.
Wigginton is a utility guy. Sure, he got a ton of plate appearances last year in Baltimore, but that was because the Garret Atkins experiment didn’t work out. He started the season strong, but he faded as the year wore on and in full time work he was exposed, posting a .248/.312/.413.
That, apparently is worth nearly $4 million a year now. A year or two years ago Wigginton would have received a million bucks. Maybe two.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 1
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 47
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)