Dec 7, 2010, 9:44 AM EDT
The big money continues to be spread around down here in Orlando. The latest: the Rockies have signed Ty Wigginton to a two-year deal worth $7.5 million.
Wigginton is a utility guy. Sure, he got a ton of plate appearances last year in Baltimore, but that was because the Garret Atkins experiment didn’t work out. He started the season strong, but he faded as the year wore on and in full time work he was exposed, posting a .248/.312/.413.
That, apparently is worth nearly $4 million a year now. A year or two years ago Wigginton would have received a million bucks. Maybe two.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 22
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 28
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)