Dec 7, 2010, 9:06 AM EST
More word this morning that, contrary to some speculation last night, the Yankees will not offer Cliff Lee a seven-year deal, on the basis that they will not exceed the contract length of the CC Sabathia deal, and that was a six-year thing. So if there is a team out there willing to go nuts, it’s not New York.
Here’s a wild card: Washington. Jon Heyman hears this morning that they have become “ultra-aggressive” in pursuit of a starting pitcher. And hey, they have a recent track record of being totally unhinged, so why not them? Heyman doesn’t mention Lee’s name, but it would certainly sound strange for the words “ultra-aggressive” and “Carl Pavano” to go together, wouldn’t it?
Unlike Jayson Werth, however, I seriously doubt that Lee would consider going to Washington, but hey, crazier things have happened. And even if that’s too crazy, an offer, even if it has no hope of being accepted, could drive others to sweeten offers of their own.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 26
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)