Dec 7, 2010, 9:06 AM EDT
More word this morning that, contrary to some speculation last night, the Yankees will not offer Cliff Lee a seven-year deal, on the basis that they will not exceed the contract length of the CC Sabathia deal, and that was a six-year thing. So if there is a team out there willing to go nuts, it’s not New York.
Here’s a wild card: Washington. Jon Heyman hears this morning that they have become “ultra-aggressive” in pursuit of a starting pitcher. And hey, they have a recent track record of being totally unhinged, so why not them? Heyman doesn’t mention Lee’s name, but it would certainly sound strange for the words “ultra-aggressive” and “Carl Pavano” to go together, wouldn’t it?
Unlike Jayson Werth, however, I seriously doubt that Lee would consider going to Washington, but hey, crazier things have happened. And even if that’s too crazy, an offer, even if it has no hope of being accepted, could drive others to sweeten offers of their own.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)