Dec 8, 2010, 1:30 PM EST
This is pretty much how it goes all week here:
- Writer A says that the Washington Nationals are poised to sign Adam LaRoche;
- Writer B says, no, nothing imminent. There are talks, nothing more, and other teams are still interested.
Then everyone rushes to see who is listed as LaRoche’s agent in order to try to get a comment from him. Then you stroll around the lobby to try to find the Nationals’ Assistant Associate Vice-Vice-Vice President of Non-Critical Operations to see if you can read any tells off his face when he says “fine” after you ask him how his day is going.
It’s all very scientific, really.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)