As usual, Scott Boras draws a crowd

Dec 8, 2010, 2:04 PM EDT

Boras in a hallway

He only represents the third-biggest available free agent at the moment, but Scott Boras still draws a crowd. This was the man holding court, as he does every year, right outside the media room.

It was hard to get close, but I heard him say something about 31 or 32 being young these days.  Tune in the next time he has a 27 or a 28-year-old free agent and ask him again what prime baseball-playing age is.  Gotta love Scotty.

The reason he was here: his client, Carlos Pena, just held a press conference in the wake of his signing with the Cubs. It was fairly straightforward. Lots of questions about why he was below the Mendoza Line this year (answer: I won’t be next year). Lots of questions about why he chose Chicago on this particular deal. He did not actually say “because I want to be like Adrian Beltre and have a big value-building year before I hit the market again next year,” though that was clearly what he was getting at in most of his answers.  And for that very reason this seems like a really smart deal for Pena.

I’ve only been in close proximity to Pena a couple of times, but he’s pretty charming and seems like one of baseball’s brighter bulbs.  And he dresses well.  And, if asked, I bet he wouldn’t start spewing birther nonsense. Such a more reasonable day in here today than it was yesterday.

Only weird note in the whole thing: Pena started out by saying that he was a Cubs fan as a kid and that he “remembered watching George Bell.”  George Bell played exactly one season for the Cubs: 1991.  It was an OK, but by no means great season for Bell, after which he was traded to the White Sox for Sammy Sosa.

Must have been particularly memorable for Pena, I guess.

1. wonkypenguin - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Damon Berryhill. There is no reason whatsoever for me to remember him, but he stands out. As does Dave Martinez.

The players we latch onto when we were kids are amazing to think about.

2. phillygirl4 - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:17 PM

If you would all stop paying attention to him, maybe he’d disappear.

• nps6724 - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:47 PM

So he’s Freddy Krueger? Terrible disguise.

3. thinman61 - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Pena was living in Haverhill, MA during his high school years, then went on to study electrical engineering at Northeastern University. Under those circumstances, I rather doubt Wrigley Field was the old ballpark he dreamed about one day playing in. ;)

4. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Wasn’t Bell traded 3 days after Bud Selig bought the Cubs?

5. hackerjay - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:51 PM

My guess is that he was a George Bell fan as a kid, and as such became a fan of any team he was on. I know that happened to me quite a bit as a child. I was a big Orioles fan up until Ripken retired. Then I lost interest in the franchise.

6. Ace - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Growing up a Red Sox fan, I was (of course) always a huge fan of Juan Marichal. In adulthood, I became more of a Ricky Henderson guy, but man, we’ve had some all-time greats in Beantown, no doubt about it.

7. chilidog99 - Dec 8, 2010 at 3:55 PM

So what does he think about Obama’s birth certificate?

{Ducks and runs away :) }

8. professorperry - Dec 8, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I do think the changing nature of the aging curve due to modern medicine (and PEDs) is an under-reported story, oddly. So many people in their mid-30s get injuries that would have been career-ending and come back to have more or less productive careers.

1. M. Bumgarner (3953)