Dec 8, 2010, 11:44 PM EDT
Incredible. Absolutely incredible.
According to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe, the Red Sox have reached agreement on a seven-year, $142 million contract with outfielder Carl Crawford, making him the richest outfielder in Major League Baseball history.
The Angels were called the front-runners for Crawford all day long at the Winter Meetings and reports just hours ago had them moving aggressively toward the finalization of a contract.
All that talk must have woken up the Boston front office, because they barged in with a massive deal and secured a signature this evening.
It’s a bold but brilliant move by a club that missed the playoffs this year for the first time since 2006. Lest we forget, they added Adrian Gonzalez from the Padres just a few days ago. Gonzalez is a solid defender at first base and Crawford covers all sorts of ground in the outfield.
The defense is good. The offense is even better.
Crawford hit .307 with 19 homers, 90 RBI and 110 runs scored in 2010 for the Rays. He was worth 6.9 WAR (Wins Against Replacement), more than Robinson Cano and Miguel Cabrera. Gonzalez slugged 31 home runs this year while playing half of his games in baseball’s biggest park. He’s going to punish Fenway Park’s Green Monster with doubles and a whole lot of homers.
Seriously, check out this spray chart of Gonzalez’s hits from this season. Those are all of the spots that the first baseman sent baseballs in 2010 at PETCO Park, overlapped as to where they’d land if he were batting in Fenway.
To improve so vastly on both offense and defense in one winter is remarkable and possibly unprecedented.
The Red Sox are alive and well. The American League East is out of control.
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 11
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 34
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 61
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)