Dec 8, 2010, 10:14 PM EST
Here it comes.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, free agent left-hander Cliff Lee will decide on a club by the end of this weekend.
Lee has a formal offer in hand from the Yankees that is thought to be worth around $140 million over six years. He will probably get a matching offer or something better within the next 24 hours from the Rangers and maybe something similar from a few other teams.
But, by this weekend, he is going to have a decision. The biggest free agent on this winter’s market will be wrapped up with a bow before December 13.
Lee, 32, registered a stellar 3.18 ERA and 1.00 WHIP over 28 starts in 2010 with 185 strikeouts against 18 walks. We’ve heard rumors about him disliking the Texas heat and there was that thing about Yankees fans spitting on his wife. But he’s going to chase the money. That’s what free agents do.
So, who’s ready to pay up?
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)