Dec 8, 2010, 12:48 PM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks “are closing in on a deal to sign” Henry Blanco, with the veteran catcher expected to receive a one-year contract.
It makes sense for the Diamondbacks to find a right-handed-hitting backup for the left-handed-hitting Miguel Montero, who’s entrenched as the starter behind the plate.
Blanco brings very little to the table offensively, but even at age 39 he’s capable of shutting down the opponents’ running game, throwing out 45 percent of steal attempts during the past three seasons.
Arizona would be Blanco’s eighth team in 14 seasons. He played this year with the Mets, hitting .215/.271/.300 in 144 plate appearances.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 36
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 11
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 28
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 32
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)