Dec 8, 2010, 12:48 PM EST
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks “are closing in on a deal to sign” Henry Blanco, with the veteran catcher expected to receive a one-year contract.
It makes sense for the Diamondbacks to find a right-handed-hitting backup for the left-handed-hitting Miguel Montero, who’s entrenched as the starter behind the plate.
Blanco brings very little to the table offensively, but even at age 39 he’s capable of shutting down the opponents’ running game, throwing out 45 percent of steal attempts during the past three seasons.
Arizona would be Blanco’s eighth team in 14 seasons. He played this year with the Mets, hitting .215/.271/.300 in 144 plate appearances.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)