Dec 8, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT
Mike Hampton came back from his latest arm surgery to make 10 appearances as a left-handed specialist for the Diamondbacks in September and today Arizona re-signed him to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Hampton “will compete for a job coming out of the bullpen” at age 38, after undergoing surgery to repair labrum and rotator cuff damage in his shoulder about 14 months ago.
Hampton hasn’t been healthy and effective in the same season since way back in 2004, throwing a grand total of 264 innings in the six years since then.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 0
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 46
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 6
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 19
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 42