Dec 8, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Freddy Sanchez underwent left shoulder surgery yesterday and the Giants expect him to need about eight weeks of rehab, leaving plenty of time to get ready for spring training.
Of course, Sanchez also had surgery on his left shoulder last December and ended up needing five months to recover before playing in his first game of the season on May 19.
According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle last year’s version was “more complex” than yesterday’s version, which involved “removal of the biceps tendon.”
Sanchez, who also underwent knee surgery shortly before signing a two-year extension with the Giants last offseason, is owed $6 million in 2011 after hitting .292/.347/.397 in 111 games this year.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)