Luke Scott: “Obama does not represent America … he was not born here”

Dec 8, 2010, 9:26 AM EDT

Luke Scott deer

Yesterday Orioles’ DH Luke Scott came into the media room here at the Winter Meetings. No real reason, it seemed. He was with Buck Showalter when Showalter was doing his manager availability, and was kind of standing around. I snapped this picture of him because I thought it was pretty sweet that he was walking around with a new beard, a trucker’s cap and an 8×10 glossy of deer that he killed.

After I took the pic Dave Brown of Yahoo! went over to talk to Scott. For those who don’t know, Dave is a fantastic interviewer, with his Answer Man columns easily topping any Q and A out there.  He always manages to elicit fun stuff from his subjects.  I’m not sure what he got out of Scott can be classified as “fun,” however. More like “nutsy, unhinged crapola.”

After a lot of conversation about hunting, Scott made some comments about socialism. Dave asked him what he thought of the job Obama is doing. Scott launched into outer space:

Obama … hmm … Obama does not represent America. Nor does he represent anything what our forefathers stood for … He was not born here. That’s my belief. I was born here. If someone accuses me of not being born here, I can go — within 10 minutes — to my filing cabinet and I can pick up my real birth certificate and I can go, “See? Look! Here it is.

At which point in the column Dave provides a link and an image of Obama’s birth certificate. Because it exists and it is valid and people who argue to the contrary are either idiots or liars or sheep or all three.

So, Luke Scott: excellent hitter. Polite fellow in person. Complete nutjob.

Audio of Scott’s comments is available on this MSNBC report.

172 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Dec 8, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Rachel Maddow and her 10 viewers are not pleased.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:09 PM

But Glenn Beck, King of the Mindless Drones, and his sheep are pleased—though Beck hasn’t told them yet.

• Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I will let you know my feelings when I get home and watch Hannity.

2. ThatGuy - Dec 8, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Maybe he got confused because Hawaii had only been a state for two years at the time of Obamas birth and he doesn’t consider it a true state…

• chilidog99 - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:02 PM

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Some people have a hard enough time accepting that citizenship was automatic AFTER Hawaii became a state—let’s not confuse them even more.

• bigharold - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:49 PM

“Actually anyone born in the territory of Hawaii after the year 1900 was automatically an American Citizen.”

Do you for one minute think that logic, facts or reason have any business in this debate? If so, your Sir are sadly mistaken.

• mytjoe2134 - Dec 8, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I think you’re odds are good, when you have 57 states to choose from, that you’ll hit one to get your citizenship from according to Obama! (I know he was tired when he said it, but it doesn’t stop people from incorrectly quoting Palin with lines from Tina Fey…)
        Also, an FYI: Hawai’i, Texas and Alaska all currently have secession movements embeded within the states, but the federal government won’t allow them to secede, which was withheld from them when they had options to be territories, states or independent nations, a violation of international law.

3. Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Dec 8, 2010 at 9:37 AM

By the way what state has birth certificates like the one in his picture. Mine is just an ugly white paper with a pretty border and typing.

4. sknut - Dec 8, 2010 at 9:38 AM

What an odd time to jump on your political soapbox. I wonder if Luke Scott will want his teammates to show their birth certificates to show they “represent” the Orioles.

• chilidog99 - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I think the problem is that Luke was hanging out with Ted Nugent. The Nuge is a total wackaloon.

• yankees1996 - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Ted Nugent is a fine upstanding, red-blooded American and is one of the best damn bowhunters in the world. He also happens to be a fine musician and terrific role model. Now, Nancy Grace is an example of a total “wackaloon”.

• joemac1114 - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Who could dispute that the man who gave the world the song “Wang Dang Sweet Poon Tang” is anything other than a musical legend. And in other news the world is flat, and a wild bear comes into town to poop.

• bigharold - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:54 PM

A prime example of why baseball players should be seen and not heard.

5. jkcalhoun - Dec 8, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Luke Scott was born in the media room? Would explain a lot…

6. Chris Fiorentino - Dec 8, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Snopes is the authority on everything…maybe Luke should put them on his favorites list. There’s a million things not to like about Obama and his policies…I just wish these fringe kooks would focus on the important stuff instead of stupid crap like this.

• tadthebad - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Not for nothing, bc I happen to think the birther talk is ridiculous, but I think the founder/operator of snopes is a liberal and backer of the Obama Administration. Which is fine, btw, but it may influence its reporting and may influence how much trust you put in it. I’m basically passing along hearsay, so don’t tell Verducci, and please feel free to correct.

• Kevin S. - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Factcheck.org debunked that accusation.

• lonewolfarcher - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Snopes is run by a husband and wife with their own agenda. They are no more credible than any other research organization.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Yes, they do. And that agenda would be to debunk idiotic rumors that have no basis in fact.

7. lar @ wezen-ball - Dec 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM

I was just going to comment about how crazy this comment thread might get, but then I remembered what the comments over at Yahoo are like. This thread will be the absolute model of polite, thoughtful discourse compared to what’s going to happen over there.

I’m literally afraid for my mind to click over and see those comments… (I loved the Answer Man piece, though)

• magniloquentwaffle - Dec 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Oh, yeah. I can smell the pure grade idiocy right now, as a matter of fact. Never mind the copy of the birth certificate that was posted immediately after Scott’s embarrassing display of stupidity. The birthers will come–oh, will they come!

8. Panda Claus - Dec 8, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I really like Luke Scott for the O’s, but have to admit this is a bit wacky even for him. But doesn’t every team need someone to fill that “lovable nut” role?

• iammaxa - Dec 8, 2010 at 9:57 AM

To the extent that “birther” claims are a proxy for racism, I’m not inclined to write them off as mere ignorance, or a trait of a mere “lovable nut.”

9. O.Handwasher - Dec 8, 2010 at 9:51 AM

As a conservative, I’m not Obama’s biggest fan, but I really want to punch Birthers in the mouth.

• Brian - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:08 AM

perfect sentiment.

10. largebill - Dec 8, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Concur with Chris, there are enough legitimate complaints about President Obama’s policies that it is foolish to chase conspiracy theories. I have to wonder if half the reason Obama is so secretive (college records, etc) is to make opponents sound as nutty as Scott does in that interview. Bottom line? I doubt anyone is rushing to sign up Scott as spokesman for their cause. Even if he had a valid opinion on public policies he would be dismissed as a “birther.” Funny thing is society doesn’t instantly shun and dismiss as kooks those who don’t believe planes brought down the buildings on 9/11. In my opinion, birthers, truthers, and idiots who believe there was a conspiracy in the JFK assassination should all be ignored as fools.

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 8, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I would argue that we do shun as idiots the 9/11 people. The word “birther” is just an extension of the word “truther” that sprung up to describe people who don’t believe the planes brought down the WTC. I don’t know that anyone has ever given these guys credence at all.

• largebill - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:07 AM

If we shunned those idiots I wouldn’t see them still working on TV. A glaring example is the fool on FOX, Judge Napolitano. I heard a recent interview he gave on radio where the idiot said he didn’t believe building 7 could have come down and the government must have used explosives. Several years ago Popular Mechanics did a really long and thorough take down on all the stupid 9/11 theories.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM

But the “truthers” were predominantly far left Bush haters, while the “birthers” are usually far right Obama haters… For the most part.

Why can’t people just detest both parties like I do?? Then we might be able to actually fix something.

11. Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Wow. Why would he bring this up now, at this point? That’s super strange. He should have kept his mouth shut. Either he hasn’t been out in the real world for a couple of years or he’s just not that smart. He could have just said something like “he could be doing better”, but no, he’s got to show his “smarts” on politics… The fact that he thinks people want to see his deer carcasses so much that he must carry around photos of them, should tell you how smart this guy is…

• ThatGuy - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM

In his defense those are big friggen deer. All though the fact they are from a game farm kind of cheapens the experience.

• acanniv - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Kind of? They were probably tied to posts.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Don’t get me wrong, I support the rights of hunters. I even support the rights of “Game preserves” to exist. But it’s a rare person who actually carries around the pictures of their kill. Let’s not even get into the fact that most real hunters would laugh him out of town for hunting on a preserve with a guaranteed kill. What a big scary deer killing man he is… Yeah, those are some huge deer, and he’ll never be able to eat all of it before it spoils, which is also a no no by most hunters, who hunt for sport and food. You kill it, you eat it. That’s the unwritten rule. The fact that he uses it as a badge of honor is pretty stupid.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I have a cell phone picture of the squirrel I ran over on my way to work last week.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:17 PM

You are pure man. A guy I worked with hit a flying squirrel, it hit his windshield and landed in his bed of his truck. Dead. Now that’s huntin’. Not much eatin’ though…

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:27 PM

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poor Rocky!!!!

• yankees1996 - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Pardon the inquiry but I just have to know. The picture of the squirrel that you have, did you stop for the sole purpose of taking the picture?, or were you concerned with possibly rendering aid? I realize this is a bit off the beaten path, but I just have to know, the suspense is killing me. By the way your original post is the funniest damn thing I have read in along time. My partner John laughed for a solid 10 minutes after reading your post and I am talking about laughed with tears in his eyes, laugh!

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Did you ever do something for which there was no logical or rational explanation? This is one of those cases. (Hell, I get skeeved by roadkill, ratcheted up when I come in contact with it.)

I got out to check to see what that noise was—to make sure my car was okay. And I took the picture to possibly serve as a tough-love lesson for my kid on the dangers of running in the street. And I’ve been second guessing it ever since. I should probably delete it before I think to actually use it, shouldn’t I?

And what post served to reduce John to such hysterics?

• yankees1996 - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Did you ever do something for which there was no logical or rational explanation? Everyday!

And what post served to reduce John to such hysterics?

He found it to be extremely amusing that you had taken a picture of the squirrel after the accident. I have known and worked with him for over 15 years and to behonest with you I cannot explain it or some other things he finds funny to you or anyone else.

12. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Hey, Luke. There is a movement to take away the citizenship of people born in this country. After listening to you, perhaps it is a good idea after all. Let’s start with you.

13. paperlions - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Scott realizes that what our “forefathers” really stood for wasn’t all that democratic or liberating right? Unless, you know, you were a rich, landing-owning male, in which case you were golden….if you were a woman or non-white, well, you were to be owned or killed.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:54 AM

This times 1000. It’s similar to the anti-gay movement that quotes a select passage from the bible, without understanding all the other problems that arise if you follow the bible literally (great West Wing episode when President Bartlett blasts a Dr. Laura clone seen here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHaVUjjH3EI)

Also, glad no one jumped on the ridiculous “socialism” comment. I really should memorize this post blantantly stolen from 4chan.org:

“this morning I was awoken by my alarm clock powered by electricity generated by the public power monopoly regulated by the US department of energy. I then took a shower in the clean water provided by the municipal water utility. after that, I turned on the TV to one fo the FCC regulated channels to see what hte national weather service of the national oceanographic and atmospheric administration determined the weather was going to be like using staellites designed, built, and launched by the national aeronautics and space administration. i watched this while eating my breakfast of US department of agriculture inspected food and taking the drugs which have been determined as safe by the food and drug administration.

at the appropriate time as regulated by the US congress and ketp accurate by the national institute of standards and technology and the US naval observatory, i get into my national highway traffic safety administration approved automobile and set out to work on the roads built by the local, state, and federal departments of transportation, possibly stopping to purchase additional fuel of a quality level determined by the EPA, using legal tender issued by the federal reserve bank. on the way out the door i deposit any mail i have to be sent out via the US postal service and drop the kids off at the public school.

after work, i drive my NHTSA car back home on the DOT roads, to house which has not burned down in my absence because of the state and local building codes and fire marshal’s inspection, and which has not been plundered of all it’s valuables thanks to the local police department.

i then log on to the internet which was developed by the defense advanced research projects administratio and post on freerepublic.com and fox news forums about how SOCIALISM in medicine is BAD because the government can’t do anything right.”

• professorperry - Dec 8, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Wow.

Can you get me a link?

• professorperry - Dec 8, 2010 at 11:40 AM

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:27 PM

run a google search on “4chan.org socialism” and you’ll see a bunch of links that copy the image. I doubt 4chan is work safe so I wouldn’t go looking for it there.

14. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM

What a douchenozzle.

15. wonkypenguin - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Let’s start with the premise that someone has to be born here to best represent America.

There’s a great book “Voodoo Histories” that dissects America’s obsession with conspiracy theories (and the psychology behind it) that is pretty awesome.

Oh – and the day I take political or philosophical advice from any baseball player other than Yogi Berra would be the day I finally lose my mind. :-)

16. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I was not there to see Luke Scott shoot those deer. I refuse to believe he shot them despite his photographic evidence, sworn affidavits by his fellow hunters, and the large announcement he took out in the local papers to celebrate his kill.

• Reflex - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:45 AM

No kidding. I am aware of Photoshop and how to use it. The lighting is all wrong on those photos. The real question though is: Who in the Federal Land Management agency put him up to it and why?

The truth will come out.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Just not on FOX Noise.

17. BC - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Luke Scott is a chipwich.

18. pwf207 - Dec 8, 2010 at 11:21 AM

The big problem with comments like the ones Scott made is that they are based solely on a narrative without any supporting evidence. This has become far too common in American political discourse. He lurches from gun control to communism in literally one sentence and bridges it with “the truth is — based on fact”, but provides no facts. When making decisions about complicated issues like what social services to provide or how to allocate resources, one must, by function of being human, decide on priorities based on emotion. However, when contemplating policy, one should endeavor to use reason and logic to formulate and defend means to achieving ends. Tribalism, which is what Scott is engaging in (and yes it is pretty funny that he has pictures of fresh kills with him) is emotional and it appears from his comments later on that this is as far as he believes political discourse need go.

19. JBerardi - Dec 8, 2010 at 11:24 AM

If there’s enough evidence for Luke Scott to say Obama isn’t an American, well then, there’s certainly enough evidence for me to say Luke Scott is a racist. Which he is, because that is ALL birtherism is about, has ever been about, and will ever be about.

Seriously, find me one non-white persons who believes this crap.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 11:48 AM

There are plenty of non white birthers JBerardi. And it’s kind of sad you can label it as racism, when it’s so clearly a lack of intelligence. Sure the majority of Birthers are white, but it’s not just racism. that’s the problem with making everything black and white, such as birther = racist. You’re doing exactly what racists do. Exactly.

• joemac1114 - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Can you share with us you would find these non-white birthers? No, didn’t think so.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:14 PM

• chilidog99 - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Well, there is Alan Keyes, but he is totally insane and still mad at Obama for beating him so badly in the 2004 race for Senate in illinois.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Lol!! Yeah, and there are still plenty of “black baptist” churches still posting “birther like” slogans on their billboards. You know, in between telling everyone they’ll surely burn in hell for drinking, tatoos, smoking, not hating gays, and cussing…. oh and not handing over wads of money to support the lunacy they spread. Hey, it’s why I love a free country. There’s a little for everyone here ya know? I’m not saying anything besides birther does not equal racist. It equals something different which can be found in most racists, which is stupidity.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Thank God that Kevin Bacon got rid of that no-dancing edict.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I do seem to recall—though I may be wrong—that Michael Steele never exactly debunked that idiotic crap, either. But Alan ‘Carpetbagger Senate Candidate’ Keyes and Steele are hardly a legitimate representative sample.

20. Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Kudos to Luke Scott—he really seems to have touched on most of the FOX Noise and Repugnican yapping points, albeit in a disjointed and nonsensical way, but he hit them nonetheless.

21. yankees1996 - Dec 8, 2010 at 11:56 AM

I would have to say that Luke Scott has lost his grip after a comment like that. What was the motivation for the reporter in question to ask a baseball player about Obamas’ performance after discussing hunting and futher more listening to Luke Scott ramble and/or discuss Socialism?

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM

I thought that was a pretty big and irrelevant leap myself.

• magniloquentwaffle - Dec 8, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I find that the door was also open on that one, and there was definitely nothing stopping Brown from using his bolt cutter. Rather, I think Scott should have taken it upon himself to avoid further treading on tender ground.

• chilidog99 - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:18 PM

He must have known the Luke was good for the stundilicious comments like the ones he got.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Well, Luke was talking about hunting and used that to segue into “gun grabbers” and 2nd Amendment politics. It’s not like the door wasn’t opened.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:42 PM

The door may have been unlocked, but the security chain was still on, but Brown for some reason just rammed through.

22. chilidog99 - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:17 PM

One other comment by Scott not mentioned above:

You know, I didn’t have the same opportunity growing up, as some people. I also had more opportunity than others. Whatever is given to that person, whatever you do with it is what makes the difference. And that’s what has happened in this country: People want the same result, but they don’t want to pay the same price. They want equality, but not by earning it — they want it given to them.

The Stupid, it burns!

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Thanks. The headache I have after reading that may actually give me an opportunity to go home for the day.

• Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I told you to wear the goggles!!!!

23. danwhitmer - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Listen to what he said, He can go and get his “REAL” birth certificate, Not a copy of one…. funny they did not add the 2.7million dollar money trail that Obama spent to seal his “real” birth certificate.

Those who still believes in Obama are the true idiots. I know there will be plenty of people on here who wish they were Obamas jock strap ( including the idiot that wrote this article ) but that is just abunch of leberals being nieve.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Your honor, I rest my case.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:13 PM

And what case would that be?

• chilidog99 - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:16 PM

A case of Billy beer.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:31 PM

“birthers” aren’t racist. They’re something else, which I already addressed.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Gotcha—they’re morons.

And, chilidog (mmmm…chili dog….), I’d rather have a case of Yuengling. Mmmm…lager… Hey, I think I just figured out what I’m getting for lunch!!!!

• chilidog99 - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:15 PM

No one can ever get their “REAL” birth certificate. All you ever get is a certified copy.

Sheesh, “What a Maroon!”

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:27 PM

“leberals”? “nieve”? You’re putting us on. Or an idiot. Either way, bravo.

• chilidog99 - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:01 PM

“leberals” is the name of a new team down in Bolivia, and clealy he is comparing you to the catcher Wil Nieves.

24. joemac1114 - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Facts we don’t need no stinking facts we have Fox News.

25. chilidog99 - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I wonder what Luke thinks about Global Warming.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Well, he did have to grow a beard to keep his face warm while he was exercising his 2nd Amendment remedies on those captive deer, so global warming OBVIOUSLY doesn’t exist. Duh.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4051)