Dec 8, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reported Thursday evening that free agent catcher Miguel Olivo is likely going to score a two-year, $7.5 million deal at some point in the near future. Renck’s source must have been on the contract side of the negotiations because he wasn’t able to identify which team was behind that proposal.
We might have the answer now.
According to Jon Paul Morosi, the Mariners have a multi-year offer on the table for the 32-year-old Olivo. Might it be of the two-year, $7.5 million variety?
Olivo turned in a pedestrian .269/.315/.449 overall batting line in 2010, but he had a .325 batting average, 11 home runs and 42 RBI before the All-Star break and Seattle will hope that he can keep that pace throughout an entire season.
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times says that two sides — the M’s and Olivo — are still talking, and that a deal probably won’t be reached by the end of this week’s Winter Meetings.
UPDATE: Now the Tacoma News Tribune’s Ryan Divish is reporting that the Mariners have not made an offer. They do sound interested, but this deal may take a little longer than expected to materialize.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)