Dec 8, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reported Thursday evening that free agent catcher Miguel Olivo is likely going to score a two-year, $7.5 million deal at some point in the near future. Renck’s source must have been on the contract side of the negotiations because he wasn’t able to identify which team was behind that proposal.
We might have the answer now.
According to Jon Paul Morosi, the Mariners have a multi-year offer on the table for the 32-year-old Olivo. Might it be of the two-year, $7.5 million variety?
Olivo turned in a pedestrian .269/.315/.449 overall batting line in 2010, but he had a .325 batting average, 11 home runs and 42 RBI before the All-Star break and Seattle will hope that he can keep that pace throughout an entire season.
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times says that two sides — the M’s and Olivo — are still talking, and that a deal probably won’t be reached by the end of this week’s Winter Meetings.
UPDATE: Now the Tacoma News Tribune’s Ryan Divish is reporting that the Mariners have not made an offer. They do sound interested, but this deal may take a little longer than expected to materialize.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 0
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 17
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)