Dec 8, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reported Thursday evening that free agent catcher Miguel Olivo is likely going to score a two-year, $7.5 million deal at some point in the near future. Renck’s source must have been on the contract side of the negotiations because he wasn’t able to identify which team was behind that proposal.
We might have the answer now.
According to Jon Paul Morosi, the Mariners have a multi-year offer on the table for the 32-year-old Olivo. Might it be of the two-year, $7.5 million variety?
Olivo turned in a pedestrian .269/.315/.449 overall batting line in 2010, but he had a .325 batting average, 11 home runs and 42 RBI before the All-Star break and Seattle will hope that he can keep that pace throughout an entire season.
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times says that two sides — the M’s and Olivo — are still talking, and that a deal probably won’t be reached by the end of this week’s Winter Meetings.
UPDATE: Now the Tacoma News Tribune’s Ryan Divish is reporting that the Mariners have not made an offer. They do sound interested, but this deal may take a little longer than expected to materialize.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 56
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)