Dec 8, 2010, 2:14 PM EST
Jack Cust was non-tendered by the A’s last week, but Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that he’ll remain in the AL West and sign a one-year contract with the Mariners worth $2.5 million in base salary.
Cust has seen his power numbers decline in three straight seasons, but he remains a walk machine who gets on base at a good clip despite low batting averages and tons of strikeouts.
Among all hitters with at least 400 plate appearances this year Cust ranked 10th in baseball with a .395 on-base percentage and his .834 OPS would’ve been the highest on the Mariners by nearly 100 points.
He’s a flawed player whose production has dipped a bit, but Cust is certainly a very solid designated hitter option on an inexpensive one-year commitment and the Mariners’ lineup can obviously use all the help it can get. He’ll likely hit under .250 in Seattle and the signing won’t look so good if Cust ends up seeing significant action in the field, but he’ll draw a ton of walks, post an OBP among the AL leaders, and smack 20-plus homers.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 150
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (150)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)