Dec 8, 2010, 11:17 AM EST
Ricky Nolasco and the Marlins have been trying to work out a long-term contract extension all year, so it’s not surprising to see Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald report that the team is “gauging interest” in Nolasco at the winter meetings.
According to Spencer they’re also taking calls on closer Leo Nunez, but “are not committed to trading either” and “would have to be overwhelmed by any offers.”
Nolasco is under team control for two more seasons, while Nunez is arbitration eligible for the final time and will hit the open market as a free agent next offseason. It makes sense to deal Nunez, because his save total overrates him in the arbitration process and could lead to a 2011 salary of $5 million or so. However, dealing Nolasco would be a mistake unless the Marlins can get a significant return.
Nolasco has a mediocre 4.45 ERA in 716 career innings, but his secondary numbers have consistently been much better and he’s still just 28 years old. Among all pitchers to make at least 75 starts in the past three seasons Nolasco ranks fourth in strikeout-to-walk ratio, eighth in strikeout rate, and 12th in wins. He’s very close to emerging as a top-of-the-rotation starter.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 10
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 14
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 162
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (162)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)