Dec 8, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
Darek Braunecker represents Cliff Lee. He’s been very busy during these Winter Meetings. No, not busy negotiating a contract, but busy telling various reporters about all the offers he’s fielding. Really, there some reporters who won’t be able to order a drink down in the lobby tonight because they don’t know how to talk without Braunecker making their mouths move.
But that’s over now, because the buzz around here is that Braunecker has left the Dolphin Resort. Which means that there is likely no chance of Lee signing between now and the end of the meetings tomorrow.
I’ve never negotiated anything bigger than a moderately-sized lawsuit settlement — and I tended to lose those negotiations — but I don’t get why this is so damn complicated. There are a finite number of teams in the bidding. There are no guys above Lee who need to set the market first. Everyone has cell phones. If Sotheby’s can auction off 15 Picassos in an afternoon, you’d think Braunecker could auction off Lee here.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 14
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 71
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (145)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)