Reader Dissent: “Craig, you are such a pinko communist tool”

Dec 8, 2010, 5:28 PM EDT

Marx Lennon

This is in response to the Luke Scott stuff, obviously. And I disagree with it even if the reader is 66% correct in his first sentence:

Craig, you are such a pinko communist tool.  You certainly are not qualified to comment on anyone’s beliefs, even those that aren’t part of the orchestrated drivel the “news” feeds us.  You are part of the mind feck that MSNBC and all those sites engage in.  The only sheep are those that don’t question the shite that is force-fed down Americans’ throats.  The fact that you use your sports blog on a major website to forward your political beliefs shows what a complete tool you are.  I would love for you to see Scott again and he kick the libel b.s. out of your arse to teach you some manners.

And no, I didn’t change his spelling. He used the cleaned-up version of the curse words on his own.  I appreciate that kind of courtesy.

As for the substance: sorry, but you don’t get to place “100% counter-factual assertions” into the category of “beliefs.”  A difference in beliefs would exist if Luke Scott was a passionate supporter of the Taft-Hartley Act and I, in contrast, believed that it was in conflict with important principles of our democratic society.  In that case, to each his own, and I don’t think anyone would be objecting to Scott’s statement today. But the assertion of something that is 100% factually incorrect gets no protection as the product of one’s belief system. Unless one’s belief system is premised on stupidity.

One other thing: someone asked me today why I think this is even blog-worthy.  The easy answer is that, well, it’s interesting, as the  response to it makes clear.  But I’ll give you an even deeper answer, and it has to do with athletes and how we view them as a society.

There are no public figures in life who are more lionized than professional athletes. They are presumed — without any reason other than their athletic exploits — to be role models before we know anything about them. Unlike other people, they are lauded as heroes for simply doing their job. The only people who deserve that kind of treatment are fireman, policemen, soldiers and the people in the business of saving lives, in my opinion.  While many athletes are admirable and wonderful people — and it always makes me happy when we learn that they are — many are given a status in our society that far outstrips their actual accomplishments simply by virtue of their ability to hit or throw or tackle or dunk.

As such, when one reveals himself to be aggressively and proudly ignorant regarding the issues of the day, yes, I do believe that is worth discussing in this forum, if for no other reason than to make the case that athletes are of little value to the public at large beyond the entertainment value they provide.  And they do provide a ton of entertainment. But let us not forget that we are their fans because of what they do on the field. Not because they’re smarter or better or more respectable than any of us are.

Not even Luke Scott, believe it or not.

1. sportsdrenched - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Pinko Communist Tool? I’m damn near a Tea Party Libritarian politicly and I think the Birther Crowd is a bunch of whack jobs. Seriously? If you have to go to the birther card to criticize Obama you’re just not thinking.

On to the orginal topic. Everyone has the right to free speach, but rights are rarely granted without responsibility. If you’re going to say the things Luke Scott said you have to expect, and be ready to deal with the blowback.

Finally, I’m active on a few politcal sites. Unless we’re talking about publicly funded ballparks…which very much cross partisian lines. Let’s keep it to baseball. (I know, I read and commented on this story)

2. Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:11 PM

For the next hour, I’m going to listen to nothing but awesome beatles songs in memory of John Lennon. “Places I remember” is a good start. Hopefully it’ll help me to forget most of what i read today. I think my cortex shed some cells trying to survive the stupid. 4 bullets to the back of one of the greatest musicians ever.. in another 40 minutes are when the shots rang out. Chapman is probably a birther too.. He should have taken out Ono instead. That b@#$ scattered his ashes in NY central park! Might as well have flushed them.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 11:43 PM

I was 6 when he was killed. I had no idea who he was at the time, but since then, I’ve realized what kind of impact he had and could have had on the world. I think the world would be much better off if he had lived. RIP John.

Do you listen to WMMR? Pierre Robert had an hour plus today devoted to him and the anniversary. Still stunningly emotional 30 years later.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 9, 2010 at 8:15 AM

I listen to 93.3 all the time. I love Preston and Steve in the morning. I don’t listen to the radio much for music though and sad to say, I missed the tribute. I listen to music that’s usually not on the radio much, so it’s MP3.
        Just like you, I was 6 when he was killed, and I really wasn’t aware of him ever being alive honestly. I have always loved the music of the Beatles. And no other band in history went through so many progressions where their style changed, and were better for doing so. I don’t know how great the world would have been had he not been killed, with Yoko Ono in the picture it could have been a horrible world with those two cutting albums with her shrieking over one of the best artists of all time. That would be intolerable. One thing is certain, I’m pretty damn sure the world is a better place for what he did musically while he was alive.

• yankeesfanlen - Dec 9, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Good to hear that youth appreciates the Classics.And that iTunes finally “gets it”.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 9, 2010 at 9:56 AM

“youth” pffft!!!

I was carded the other day and the person who carded me said “holy crap” you’re older than me.

I didn’t know if i should be flattered or pissed. So I said thanks.

3. tomemos - Dec 8, 2010 at 11:06 PM

61 comments and no one has commented on the awesome photo? Fireside Theater are great, and this is the album with Nick Danger on it! “I wonder where Ruth is?”

• drpaisley - Dec 9, 2010 at 12:37 AM

That’s Firesign Theatre, tomemos.

And it was the perfect pic, Craig, especially today.

4. outahea - Dec 9, 2010 at 6:31 AM

Thus proving why celebrities and athletes should not comment on adult matters. What a moron Luke Scott is. He doesn’t believe Obama was born in the country and says he doesn’t represent “America”. Really? Sounds like a racist comment to me. And what a doofus to think he isn’t a naturally born citizen when that question was already answered. if he was white he wouldn’t be questioning this.

• midnightramb1er - Dec 9, 2010 at 3:09 PM

If you read or listened to the news once in a while or performed some research before making comments, you would know John McCain, who is white, was questioned about being a natural born citizen by the press (see NY Times article, http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/us/politics/28mccain.html). Additionally, the Senate discussed and passed a resolution declaring McCain’s eligibility to be President (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/01/AR2008050103224.html). I am truly disappointed in individuals, including Craig, who would rather label someone instead of proving the label with some facts and backup. Who knows……..if an effort to do some research was put forth instead of name calling, maybe we could all learn something instead of a reminder we were once children and had very few abilities to persuade someone else.

• jbbeals - Dec 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM

What is the research to which you are referring? It’s a known fact John McCain was born in Panama on a military base and Barrack Obama was born in Hawaii. It doesn’t take much research to know those two things are true. Was McCain eligible to be President because of his birthplace? Yes – asked and answered – that is where it was left by most – it was never a constant battle for him. McCain had much bigger issues to conquer than his birthplace – his age and his running mate. Obama has put up with the nonsense and ignorance of people like Luke Scott every single day. What does your research tell you about this inconsistency? It might tell you it is racially motivated.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3360)