Reader Dissent: “Craig, you are such a pinko communist tool”

Dec 8, 2010, 5:28 PM EDT

Marx Lennon

This is in response to the Luke Scott stuff, obviously. And I disagree with it even if the reader is 66% correct in his first sentence:

Craig, you are such a pinko communist tool.  You certainly are not qualified to comment on anyone’s beliefs, even those that aren’t part of the orchestrated drivel the “news” feeds us.  You are part of the mind feck that MSNBC and all those sites engage in.  The only sheep are those that don’t question the shite that is force-fed down Americans’ throats.  The fact that you use your sports blog on a major website to forward your political beliefs shows what a complete tool you are.  I would love for you to see Scott again and he kick the libel b.s. out of your arse to teach you some manners.

And no, I didn’t change his spelling. He used the cleaned-up version of the curse words on his own.  I appreciate that kind of courtesy.

As for the substance: sorry, but you don’t get to place “100% counter-factual assertions” into the category of “beliefs.”  A difference in beliefs would exist if Luke Scott was a passionate supporter of the Taft-Hartley Act and I, in contrast, believed that it was in conflict with important principles of our democratic society.  In that case, to each his own, and I don’t think anyone would be objecting to Scott’s statement today. But the assertion of something that is 100% factually incorrect gets no protection as the product of one’s belief system. Unless one’s belief system is premised on stupidity.

One other thing: someone asked me today why I think this is even blog-worthy.  The easy answer is that, well, it’s interesting, as the  response to it makes clear.  But I’ll give you an even deeper answer, and it has to do with athletes and how we view them as a society.

There are no public figures in life who are more lionized than professional athletes. They are presumed — without any reason other than their athletic exploits — to be role models before we know anything about them. Unlike other people, they are lauded as heroes for simply doing their job. The only people who deserve that kind of treatment are fireman, policemen, soldiers and the people in the business of saving lives, in my opinion.  While many athletes are admirable and wonderful people — and it always makes me happy when we learn that they are — many are given a status in our society that far outstrips their actual accomplishments simply by virtue of their ability to hit or throw or tackle or dunk.

As such, when one reveals himself to be aggressively and proudly ignorant regarding the issues of the day, yes, I do believe that is worth discussing in this forum, if for no other reason than to make the case that athletes are of little value to the public at large beyond the entertainment value they provide.  And they do provide a ton of entertainment. But let us not forget that we are their fans because of what they do on the field. Not because they’re smarter or better or more respectable than any of us are.

Not even Luke Scott, believe it or not.

1. IdahoMariner - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I’m with you, Craig.

• Michael - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Yep. There are ‘beliefs” and then there are facts, verifiable facts.

The sad part is that although in baseball we’ve pretty much come around to the point where when someone calls Derek Jeter one of the best defensive shortstops in history we can pretty much all laugh at them, but there’s an entire “news” channel devoted to pandering to people who want to “believe” things that are provably wrong when it comes to politics.

• simon94022 - Dec 8, 2010 at 8:22 PM

MSNBC, right? ;)

2. yankeesfanlen - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:35 PM

May have been a little insensitive to use that picture today.

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:36 PM

What, too soon?

• clydeserra - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Anniversary today, correct?

• frankvzappa - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:30 PM

craig, you strike me as the kind of person who listens to Paul McCartney solo albums…maybe i read too much into your appreciation for the Pogues…worlds are colliding, a baseball blog divided against itself cannot stand

• yankeesfanlen - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:43 PM

30th, go to Strawberry Fields tonight. Sorry, dating myself again.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Hey, dating yourself lends itself to certain guarantees. Oh…not THAT kind of dating?

• Michael - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I actually thought it was a nice, sentimental touch.

3. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Right on Craig. Well said.

4. eaglerick - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM

You are absolutely correct Craig. It is the same as those who feel that George W. Bush was a retard. All he had to do was pull out his Yale degree that his daddy purchased to prove he wasn’t.

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Holy crap! That previous post is already top 5 in the most commented section with 150+! WOWZA! You see what I mean?

Now Craig, post some commentary on a real issue and watch as no one responds.

6. danwhitmer - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:53 PM

————————————————————————————————————————–

We all forgot you are the know all and end all of politics. How are you one to tell ANYONE what is right and wrong ? If you want to get into a political debate with Luke Scott then I am sure that can be arranged. Obama has spent a ton of money to seal his original birth certificate…… why ?

You are obviously blinded by what you hear and see and are to buisy typing what everyone else says to read up on the facts your self. You are what is wrong with America. You cannot think for your self and allow others to fill your head with non-sense and you believe it! Don’t get me wrong there are plenty of “fanatics” on both sides. You happen to be on the side opposite of him. I am not a fanatic but I also do not think Obama is telling us the truth, I can show you 20 videos where he has slipped up and said some VERY questionable things. I can show you money trails that have been made public where he has spent MILLIONS to hide things ……………… What can you show me ? ………. A slogan “Change we can believe in” thats about it,

I heard it said best Obama went from “Yes we can” to “I thought we could”

• Reflex - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Obama’s birth certificate was released during the campaign for examination. It passed. Let it go. Attack his policies. Demonstrate a shred of intellectual honesty. Just stop beating this very, very dead horse.

Conspiracy theories are for the weak minded.

• hardjudge - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:51 PM

sorry but it didn’t.

• Ace - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:00 PM

“You cannot think for your self and allow others to fill your head with non-sense and you believe it!”

Oh, the sweet, delicious irony.

• paperlions - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I didn’t know this was a theological debate.

• petef3 - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Obama’s birthplace has absolutely jack-all to do with political debate. He was either born in Hawaii or he wasn’t–this isn’t a matter of debate or feeling.

The birth certificate and the 1964 Honolulu Times say he was born there. No one with any evidence has been able to show otherwise.

• eaglerick - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Okay. I’m game. Show me the money trails that lead to him hiding things. And as far as the 20 videos where he has said questionable things. I wouldn’t doubt it. You can show 20 videos of any politician sticking their foot in their mouth. What I can show you is a landslide vote in 2008 that got him elected. Every politician says things to get elected. And every politician falls short of their goals. And every politician has to learn to compromise their ideology to get anything done. Obama is no different.

• billtpa - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:11 PM

danwhitmer, I believe that you were not born at all, but were rather created by an act of black magic involving virgin sacrifice and unicorn blood. Who are you to tell me whether that’s right or wrong?

Verifiable fact vs. subjective opinion, people. This really shouldn’t be this hard.

• Space Escalator - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Indeed. Fact means nothing to these birthers who just keep screaming conspiracy while moving the goalposts after evidence is uncovered.

• b7p19 - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Wow, spelling.

7. Reflex - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Excellent post.

8. randomdigits - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:55 PM

You had every right to post it and make your comments however I do find the term “complete nutjob” offensive.

Do I find the “birthers” to be wrong and a bit silly…yes. The same can be said of my views on:
    Truthers
    Aliens helping ancient people build the pyramids
    Bigfoot
    2012
    Ghosts
    Psychics
    Astrology
    Feng Shui
    Rampant costal flooding due to man made carbon emissions

That doesn’t make those foks “complete nutjobs”. Luke Scott was being his normal helpfull self and was replying to the questions asked of him, he was not ranting and foaming at the mouth. He may be wrong but he is rational.

• Space Escalator - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Calm != rational. Rational would imply that he would believe the evidence — which he obviously doesn’t.

• randomdigits - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Yes and I know a number of otherwise rational folks that check their horoscopes every day, despite the evidence that its crap.

Rational folks can have holes in their thought processes. Aside from the birther business everything else Scott had to say was reasonable, you might not agree with it but it was reasonable. Having a “blind spot” does not make one irrational…or a nutjob.

• billtpa - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:46 PM

It’s not otherwise reasonable, though. He hunts using crazy inhumane methods. He carries guns in places it’s illegal to carry a gun (even complained about the locker room policies after the Gilbert Arenas incident). He has terrible ideas about controlling the deer and coyote population. He complained about how Americans are lazy and just looking for handouts…and then immediately complained about how now, unlike in the good old days, people are too competitive and willing to do anything to get ahead.
        There’s nothing remotely rational about it. He’s a nutjob.

9. spergler - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:00 PM

You forgot teachers.

10. iranuke - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Hey, no big deal. So what if a large portion of the country is too stupid to know that Hawaii is a state in the union. I mean, that’s what they are saying when they say Obama wasn’t born in this country.

11. The Baseball Idiot - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Teachers.

12. solidzac - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:07 PM

When the hell did “Pinko” come back into fashion? For years the only place you could hear it was on reruns of “All in the Family,” and these days you can’t go on the internet without hearing some troll shouting it at anyone who even remotely defends Obama or any other democrat. Really people, when you’re using the same arguments as Archie Bunker, it’s time to find some new arguments.

• iamnotacoolguy - Dec 8, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Truer words have never been spoken…I dub this the “Archie Bunker defense”….awesome! Genius.

13. joshv02 - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:08 PM

“Arse” “shite” are foreign influences that betray a clear lack of patriotism and give aid and comfort to the terrorists.

“[S]omeone asked me today why I think this is even blog-worthy”

Because it increases hits. Not a bad reason! This is sports – its all entertainment.

14. Old Gator - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Here’s something to shock you all: None of our founding fathers were born in the United States.

Kinda makes ya stop and think for a minute, don’t it?

Assuming you can, I mean….

• Space Escalator - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Kinda hard to be born in a country that was formed by a document you helped write.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Touch! Old Gator wins. Given my nationality I had been reluctant to comment about the comments by Scott. I completely agree with Craig and am amazed that some Americans can get their shorts in a knot over this issue.

• Old Gator - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM

You’d be amazed what Americans can get their shorts into knots over. At the moment, I’m really pissed off about this blast of unnatural cold air of which you so-called “neighbors” to our north decided to make a gift this week. I actually had to wear socks today, and I am not amused.

Note to tigerprez: retune your antennae for “irony.” Taking things at face value is fore bores.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 8, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Since when did Gators begin to wear socks?

• tigerprez - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Seeing that you just described every founding father of every country ever, I’m not sure that your statement is nearly as clever as you think it is. It does make me think, though…that you’re a bit of a moron.

But, arguably, this Luke Scott story is as important as any ever reported on this site. It should be front page news in every paper in the world. But we could know so much more. Quick! Let’s find out what Brian Roberts thinks about carbon credits! Let’s see what Adam Jones thinks of the extension of the Bush-era tax cuts!!! And what does Brian Matusz think about the health care bill!!! How are we supposed to know who to root for if we don’t know these things?

• solidzac - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Why on earth would a baseball blog be discussing something Luke Scott, baseball player said? Just doesn’t make any sense, dag nabbit!

• billtpa - Dec 8, 2010 at 7:07 PM

And also, (a) the interview in question wasn’t even conducted by this site, and (b) it was Scott himself who started going off on socialism and such before any prompting at all from Dave. Once Scott had already taken it upon himself to say all this garbage, it’s obviously newsworthy for a baseball blog. I do think it would be a bit different if there were people going around probing lockerrooms for players’ personal beliefs (but also that those people wouldn’t be allowed in lockerrooms for much longer anyway).

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 8:28 PM

billtpa, would you PLEASE stop using facts to sully this topic?!?!?

15. frankvzappa - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:24 PM

soldiers are heroes?…i think people who dont go around killing others just because someone else told them to are the real heroes…

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 11:59 PM

I am stunned that nobody—from any side here—has said anything to you about this comment. If it wasn’t for these soldiers and their families’ sacrifices, you wouldn’t even have the right to say something so insensitive and idiotic. How about some respect for the men and women who put their lives on the line to preserve the freedom that you are enjoying here? Whatever your political views, you have to respect and honor those who served.

16. bigharold - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:28 PM

“And no, I didn’t change his spelling. He used the cleaned-up version of the curse words on his own. I appreciate that kind of courtesy.”

Actually, those cleaned up words are Irish vernacular. Sort of cussing one out in in a quaint Irish way so as not not be completely vulgar. Apparently, an Irish guy that truly doesn’t like you, .. or even arguing with you.

Also, more to the point, celebrities might well have intelligent and logically thought out opinions but so what? Woes be to anyone that lends more weight to someone’s point of view merely because they can hit or throw a ball, sing a song or act well. No good can come from allowing others to do your thinking for you. And, in most cases people do allow that to happen, it’s because they’re too lazy or too stupid to do it on their own.

Generally, it’s wise to listen to many points of view than use them to form your own opinion. Just don’t listen to Luke Scott because he’s apparently a nitwit.

17. frankvzappa - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:34 PM

18. donbp - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:38 PM

The term is “commie pinko subversive” but you would have had to live in those times to know that.

19. jfk69 - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Just so there is no confusion where I stand.
    Luke Scott is an ignorant arse. If he wasn’t playing baseball he would be mucking out some pig sty and probably dating his first cousin who has no birth certificate. But hey..This is the USA ,and he has every right to be an ignorant arse.

20. jbbeals - Dec 8, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Luke Scott meet John Rocker…

21. danwhitmer - Dec 8, 2010 at 7:25 PM

The point I am attempting to make is we all have feelings on things, We all have reason to believe one way or another. I am not extreme right like some people i know, I am not extreme left like others i know. I have read multiple releases from multipe news sources from the time he started to run for office until now. I have my opinions, I feel people that are so far on one side or the other get ridiculous.

I am not one of those people who think that the WTC’s were an inside goverment job, I do not think that the goverment is tapping everyones phone line in America. But i do think Obama is hiding things and that he has a personal agenda over what is best for America. Once again that is what i believe and i have come to that conclusion through doing my own research, not from what others have told me.

• Reflex - Dec 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM

The problem with this assertion, of course, is that whether or not Obama is hiding things or not is irrelevant to the topic of this post. The topic was that a baseball player accused the President of not being born in the United States. That is a statement of fact and as such can be proven or disproven fairly easily. It has been disproven, yet the ballplayer continues to assert it. Thus he is being willfully ignorant at best, or willfully subversive at worst. In the first scenario he is a moron and proud of that fact, in the second he is a liar and proud of that fact. Neither makes him much of a role model.

And *that* was the point of this post, how athletes are automatically made into role models without anyone knowing anything about them or thier charactor. Clearly Luke Scott is not someone most people would want thier children to emulate, unless they want their children to grow up to become used car salesmen of course…

• julietsdaddy - Dec 8, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Your own research? So you are going to travel to Hawaii to see the birth certificate. Hawaii has digitized all the birth certificates, so you cant trust anyone born in Hawaii.

Are you going to believe the birth announcement in the Hawaii paper that Obama’s grandparents put was faked too.

You can believe anything about anything, its America, but it shows a crippling lack of trust in society in general for you to have to investigate things for yourself.

People say US citizens dont trust their government, the truth is that Americans dont trust each other anymore. That is as sad as people not being able to come to grips with a black guy with a single mom has accomplished more in his life than most white people with a silver spoon in their mouths. It MUST be a conspiracy!!!!

• julietsdaddy - Dec 8, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Your post really is amazingly incompetent.

You have read many sources. Read many opinions. Not an extremist, but you just a middle of the road believer in secret agendas and HUGE government cover-ups. You act like reading the newspaper or blogs since Obama came around in 2006 makes you some expert? You have the ego and self-centeredness of a politician.

You have to come to grips with the fact that you may be in complete denial about a very big thing called reality. A president hiding things? Wow- your a regular Woodward and Bernstein.

22. wonkypenguin - Dec 8, 2010 at 7:32 PM

But Craig, you’re my favorite pinko communist tool.

Stay cool. Never change. BFF.

23. Gobias Industries - Dec 8, 2010 at 7:33 PM

I’m confused. What does any of this have to do with Jeff Francoeur and Derek Jeter?

• Utley's Hair - Dec 8, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Craig is apparently a Frenchie pinko communist tool. Is that close enough?

24. hermitfool - Dec 8, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Amen, Gobias,

This whole Luke Scott fiasco is a prime example of why politics and baseball should be kept a far apart as humanly possible. The exception to the rule, as Gator once so wisely observed, would be the politics of public funded stadiums, an issue of national scope, but not one that fires up people’s base prejudices to nearly the same degree.

Baseball, baseball, baseball. Repeat that mantra until all corrupting political thoughts fall away into the void.

25. bobwheel - Dec 8, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Craig: Stick to baseball, not politics. Luke Scott is governed by the same freedom of speech guarantee we all receive under the Constitution. Your attempt to drown him in barrels of ink is a pathetic attempt to push your political agenda.

Those of us who read this blog do so to obtain up to date information on baseball, not how you wish to defend Obama. Not everyone who is of contrary opinions is ignorant. Spend your time compiling the latest, most accurate information about the game we love, which is not gotcha politics.

• Kevin S. - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Freedom of speech prevents the government from suppressing your voice. It does nothing to prevent a private citizen from calling you an ignorant dipshit (in fact, it protects that right, too). This has nothing to do with political agendas. It has everything to do with Luke Scott opening his mouth and claiming something that can be (and has been) factually disproven.

• billtpa - Dec 8, 2010 at 10:23 PM

This might be the worst post in either thread, just because it’s couched in language that suggests the writer actually knows something. Neither of these posts is about suppressing Scott’s freedom of speech, “drown[ing] him in barrels of ink” (come on! you seriously wrote that?), or his contrary opinions. The belief that Obama was not born in this country is a mistake of fact, not an opinion. You have to kind of question his right to say it at this point, because it is actually bordering on libel (you’ve got to assume that most of these people know it’s false by now).
      I especially love the use of “gotcha politics” at the end there. Because that’s totally what reporting on what someone actually said, in context, is.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5141)