Dec 8, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT
The man who has insisted that there are multiple seven-year offers for Cliff Lee — Jon Heyman – reports this morning that, to the extent they exist, they may be mooted by a big offer from the Yankees: six years, $140-150 million.
There are many around the lobby here today who believe that for all of the stuff said about Arkansas, and all of the stuff said about wanting a long deal, Lee really wants the most money. I know. I’m shocked too. At the top end — $25 million a year — this offer could easily be richer than any seven-year deal out there, the dollars of which no one has reported.
All of that said, many likewise believe that even if this offer does come today, Lee won’t agree to anything for a few more days. Not like we won’t tell you if that changes of course …
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)