Shocker: the Royals and Jeff Francoeur are close to a deal

Dec 8, 2010, 11:58 AM EST

Jeff Francoeur

I saw Dayton Moore and the Royals signing Jeff Francoeur at the paddock before the second race. I saw Dayton Moore and the Royals signing Jeff Francoeur outside the men’s room before I placed my bet.  I saw Dayton Moore and the Royals signing Jeff Francoeur before they got up this morning.

Now Ken Rosenthal reports that it’s close to going down. A one-year deal. Possible option for 2012. There are things that are more inevitable than this was, but they are only measured on a geologic time frame.

And unless it’s crazy money — which I doubt it will be — it’s not going to kill anyone. Jeff Francoeur will not be the difference between the Royals winning and not winning the AL Central in 2011, even if he gets 600 at bats (note: I don’t use plate appearances for Francoeur because including a metric that covers walks is pretty pointless with Jeffy). He’s a decent-defending body in right field, hopefully on a platoon basis, but if he’s not going to be there every day, it’s no biggie. At least not on this team.

He’ll just be there long enough, I presume, for there to be a whole new round of “Jeff Francoeur is focusing on working the count” articles this spring, as there are every spring.  He’ll be there just long enough for people to realize that that one lucky first-pitch homer he hit the first week of the season is not indicative of his talents.  He’ll be there long enough for him to depress Royals fans who want him to be their Great White Hope, and to cause Ned Yost to bench or platoon him.  He’ll be there long enough for either him or his agent to complain in the press about him being an everyday player and wanting a trade because that’s what they do every year.

And then, in July or August, he’ll get traded to the Giants.

Enjoy Kansas City, Jeffy. Lots of good food there.

1. nps6724 - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Nice Ocean’s 11 reference.

Who DIDN’T see this coming? I bet he’ll also bat 3rd or 4th and be the face of the franchise.

2. ngearhart1981 - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM

As a Royals AND Giants fan who also hates the Braves, I pretty much hate every offseason and August.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I just can’t and would never wish such terrible things upon Royals fans. Sorry KC. You don’t deserve any additional punishment.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:20 PM

PS. I hate that pic so damn much. Craig, I know you use it b/c you love to hate it.

• BC - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:28 PM

He looks like Kenny Loggins in that picture.

• IdahoMariner - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:28 PM

that’s what I always think. It’s disturbing — i’m old enough to like Kenny, and smart enough (which requires simply that I have brain stem function) to not like Jeffy, so I’ve got a littel cognitive dissonance going on here.

• IdahoMariner - Dec 8, 2010 at 5:28 PM

little. not littel.

5. BC - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:20 PM

But is he in the best shape of his life?

6. sportsdrenched - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I’m a Royals fan, and as long as it’s not big money I’m OK with it. But I’m not counting on much from him.

What’s bad, is If you totalled Francoeur’s 2010 totals he would have lead the Royals in HR, RBI’s, and had more BB than all hitters except Billy Butler

(shrug) Back to putting the hopes on the farm system.

7. Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Thank god, I can stop holding my breath now…. I was worried from sheer will alone Craig would have Frenchie playing for Philly. Kinda like Richard Burton in “Medusa’s touch”.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Looks like I have a reason to hit some Sox/Royals games down on the South Side. Question is: what should I bring to throw at Frenchie?

• nps6724 - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Make sure it’s straight otherwise he won’t make contact.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Which would hurt more? His OBP has to hurt him greatly, I’d throw that.

• Adam - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Jonny5, remember, OBP percentage isn’t important. If it was they’d put it on the scoreboard.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:38 PM

what-everrrrr….

8. jfk69 - Dec 8, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Who is the club house attendant…He is in for a big raise. Frenchy don’t roll for less than 50k.
    Park car,do laundry,wax car,pick up dry cleaning…place bets. Done for the week.

9. hardjudge - Dec 8, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Probably trade him back to the Rangers at the trade deadline.

10. vikesfansteve - Dec 8, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Craig, the hate is so thick. Scorned lover?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5837)
  2. M. Kemp (3261)
  3. J. Kang (3236)
  4. C. McGehee (3096)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3068)
  1. J. Upton (3003)