Dec 8, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT
This is kinda insidey, but it had everyone at the Winter Meetings dying laughing in the bar last night, so it’s worth passing along.
When the vote for the Veteran’s Committee choices from the Hall of Fame came down on Monday, a lot of people in the media room started to speculate about who failed to support Marvin Miller. It was a fun game while it lasted, but everyone’s busy so people moved on.
Not former New York Times columnist Murray Chass. He spoke with Miller. Miller told him that he believed that Sports Illustrated’s Tom Verducci voted against him, and then Chass proceeded to rip Verducci, not just for his presumed vote against Miller, but saying that he wasn’t a good reporter and being a general jerk about it. This seemed like an old grudge against a fellow former New York writer being revived.
Last night Verducci set the record straight saying he did vote for Marvin Miller, and related word that Miller, when informed of his error, apologized for passing Chass misinformation. Verducci also cited one of my previous posts about how Miller had walked back his comments about Jim Palmer the last time he spoke about the Veteran’s Committee, suggesting that, hey, maybe Miller isn’t the most trustworthy source on all of this.
But it was so much more delicious than that. Because in so doing, Verducci constantly refers to Chass as “the blogger.” People who really follow the baseball media know that this is a giant insult to Chass, who has stridently said that he is not a blogger, because bloggers are irresponsible vermin. He says to right on his, um, blog, which he insists is not actually a blog even though it clearly is. So basically, each time Verducci says “the blogger,” you can and should read it as “the idiotically irresponsible Murray Chass,” because that’s what he really means.
It’s not often that you see guys with the knives out for each other like this in the baseball writing world. And when you do, it’s pretty darn tasty actually.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 5
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 54
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 23
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 24
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (92)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)