Dec 8, 2010, 4:07 PM EST
As a good and proper fanboy, I felt obligated to swing by Fredi Gonzalez’s managerial availability a few minutes ago. Of note:
- He likes the team. Said “we have a lot of good players.” Whew! I can’t imagine the awkwardness that would go down if he said all the players sucked;
- He is obviously happy to be in Atlanta and out of Miami. He said that he’s been recognized out around town in Atlanta by fans more in the couple if months since he’s been hired than he was recognized as the Marlins guy during his entire tenure in Miami.
- He was asked about what the team might be doing between now and spring training. Short answer: not a ton. More on the bullpen obviously. Backup outfield too. That’s about it. To that end he said that the team has discussed bringing Andruw Jones back as a fourth or fifth outfielder. Others say that’s not terribly likely, however.
Interesting stuff listening to the manager whose team you root for in that setting. The urge to plead with him not to do a bunch of things you fear he’ll do this season is really, really strong. Thank God I’m a pro.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)